Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Can you guys give me a surgery to make my gait normal again? I walked without my AFO for a few years. I took a bullet to the head. I am a vetern. I want to have my walk back

By Anonymous April 30, 2015 - 10:46pm
Rate This

I took a bullet to the head which effects my left side of the body my toes, fingers, hand, foot. I don't think there is anything wrong with my organs. I just want my body back. I have VA MEDI/MEDI. Can you give me me back? I live in So Cal.

Add a Comment3 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I didn't take my bullet in combat. however I do receive veterans benefits. I have other body problems from service that I am compensated for. They called the paralization on my left side "paralysis" because they said it was going to go away but it hasn't. Since I didn't have an AFO for a few years my gait is screwed up and I wanna know how I can get it fixed because my hip is starting to bother me now. Now it feels like my body is going downhill.I posted my home number please call me for I am not the best one handed typer.

May 1, 2015 - 11:20am
Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Anonymous,

Thank you for the additional information. I removed your telephone number to protect your privacy. It is not our policy to respond with phone calls, just strictly online via this website.

I suggest you consult your attending physician regarding the problem with your hip and gait. Evaluation by a physician, with physical exam and diagnostic imaging, like a MRI scan can determine the case of your problem.

Only your attending physician, or a physician associated with the VA can determine treatment and offer prognosis of improvement.

Wishing you the best,

May 4, 2015 - 8:53am

Hello Anonymous,

Welcome to EmpowHER. I thank you for risking your life in combat so that all of us can enjoy freedom. You paid a heavy price to serve our nation.

What are the effects of the bullet wound to the left side of your body? How much mobility do you have in your left hand and leg? Did your physicians give you a prognosis? What type of surgery or treatments, such as physical therapy have you undergone?

For the benefit of all our readers, AFO stands for ankle-foot orthosis. It is a brace, usually made of plastic, that is worn on the lower leg and foot to support the ankle, hold the foot and ankle in the correct position and correct foot drop.

You mention that your health care coverage is Medicare/Medicaid provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Have you or are you currently receiving treatment through the VA?

Anonymous, without knowing the specifics of your case, such as extent of damage and prognosis, I cannot suggest a type of surgery, and do not know if there is a surgery that can restore your level of function.


May 1, 2015 - 8:18am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!