Facebook Pixel

Difference between

By December 30, 2014 - 10:50pm
Rate This

Hi how can I tell the difference between a abdominal muscle strain and an abdominal aortic aneurysm? My stomach hurts but don't know what it can be I've been to three doctors and none of them felt anything. Please help me thank you. I'm 27 female

Add a Comment2 Comments

The money for a gastronoligist is too much right now. I don't work. I don't have pain if I'm not moving. It's mostly when I move and then stop is when I feel it. It's neen happening for a year now since last January. It keeps coming and going like it got better in March then it came again in August and now it went away. It got w little better with a heating pad. I was just scared of the aortic aneurysm but I do not think I have symptoms. I just need someone to talk me out of being scared and worried for no reason. Thank you for your help please get back to me

December 31, 2014 - 4:31pm

Hello Bathsheva,

Thank you for your question.

An abdominal aortic aneurysm is an enlarged area in the lower part of the aorta, which is the major blood vessel that supplies blood to the body. Most grow slowly and never cause symptoms. However, as the aneurysm enlarges, some people experience back pain, a pulsating feeling near the navel, and a deep, constant pain in your abdomen or on the side of the abdomen.

An abdominal aortic aneurysm is detected on physical exam. Diagnosis is confirmed with an abdominal ultrasound, CT scan or MRI.

An abdominal muscle strain is a partial or full tear of the small muscle fibers in the abdomen. The abdominal muscles are grouped around the abdomen and trunk. They make up the core muscles in our body.

Symptoms of an abdominal muscle strain can include:
muscle pain or soreness immediately after an injury
stiffness and discomfort
problems flexing or pain while stretching the muscle
pain when touching the area
muscle spasms
swelling or bruising
Diagnosis is based on the findings of a physical exam.

Bathsheva, consider scheduling an appointment with a gastroenterologist to determine the cause of your stomach pain. An upper endoscopy or colonscopy may be in order.


December 31, 2014 - 9:49am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Muscle Injuries

Get Email Updates

Muscle Injuries Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!