Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest


By Anonymous May 16, 2017 - 7:04am
Rate This

I've had my period for over two weeks, mild cramping, and lower back pain. Should i go to the er?

Add a Comment3 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Welcome to EmpowHER. Thank you for coming to us with your concern.

No, it is not necessary to go to the Emergency Room. Call and speak with your gynecologist, who knows you and your medical history. If you do not see a gynecologist, please reach out to your primary care physician.

A prolonged period puts you at risk for iron deficiency anemia. The cause of this must be found.


May 16, 2017 - 8:56am
(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I went to the er today, guess i should've waited for the reply haha. They gave me urine sample, and tested negative for pregnancy test. They checked for infections, only bacteria in urine. Which i felt as though, they should've gave me a blood test to check for anemia.. but they were super slow and ugh.. bad time for me. I keep bleeding and cramping so bad and sharp back pain.. was told to go back in a week or so if i keep bleeding.. do you think it was handled correctly?

May 16, 2017 - 2:46pm
Guide (reply to penelope07)

Hello penelope07,

It is not for me to comment on.


May 17, 2017 - 8:23am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Menstrual Cycle

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Menstrual Cycle Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!