Q: 

I feel as if I am being strangled. Not choking, but strangled.

Beginning December, 2010, I have been to my primary care physician, a gastronologist, endocrinologist, ears, nose and throat doctor and a neurologist.

It was discovered I had polyps on the right side of my thyroid. I had an ultrasound and biopsy and they were not cancerous. However, the endocrinologist said the polyps should not be causing my strangling sensation. He referred me to a gastronologist. I had an endoscopic procedure performed and all was well. No acid reflex, GERD, tumor, etc. He referred me to an otolaryngologist. Through an additional ultrasound, it was discovered the nodules were growing. It was determined my thyroid should be removed and it was thought it would eliviate the strangling sensation. On June 22, 2011, I had half of my thyroid removed. During a follow up visit, I infomred the doctor I was still feeling like I am being strangled. He said there was some swelling and give it about a month (which I did). I then went back to him and he put me on Prilosec and sent me for a barium ?? procedure. All was normal. My new PCP examined me and took an x-ray of my nectk. He noticed something in the back of my neck that might possibly be causing the sensation in the front of my neck. He sent me for a neck MRI. He put me on Celebrex (to reduce inflammation - if any). I had the neck MRI and after review the PCP - sent me to a neurologist. I went to the neurologist earlier in the week. He said neurologically speaking, I was fine and he didn't feel the vertebras were causing my discomfort. I am at a lost as to where to go or what to do next. Some of my smyptoms are as follows: It originally felt like I as wearing a high turtle nectk sweater that was too tight or I had a scarf on and it was pulled too tight. I have difficulty swallowing saliva (golf ball in throat feeling), but have a lesser problem swallowing water or eating. At all times, it now feels like someone is strangling me - somethimes mild to extreme. I do not feel like I am choking. It has never felt like it is on the interior of my throat. It has always felt like it is on the exterior of my throat and the interior of my neck (if that makes any sense.) Some of my other symptoms are like Cricophanyngea Spasm, however two doctors say I do not have that. I had cosmetic surgery three and a half years ago (with no compliations) and went back to the plastic surgeon to inquire if he had ever seen this side effect before and could make a recommendation. No suggestion was made. Before this issue, I have been extremely healthy - with the exception of glaucoma. I have glaucoma in both eyes and have used drops for about ten years and have had surgery on my right eye. I am 59 years old, good health - no high blood pressure, heart disease, sugar diabetes, etc. I'm 5'7" / 150 lbs, non-smoker and an occasional cocktail. No medication except eye drops and minor vitamins (calcium, etc.) Should you have questions or require additional information, please contact me at [Personal Information removed for privacy]
Thank you for your possible assistance. I look forward to hearing from someone.

Anonymous

I’ve had this coking sensation since 2006, I experience usually 2-4 times a day for the most part, It comes out of the blue for absolutely no reason, however caffeine is a trigger for mine. I no longer drink coffee, teas (even decaf) or soft drinks, one in awhile I’ll have chocolate and I’ll have the choking sensation.
However it happens for no reason, I won’t feel necessarily stressed or at least no awhere if I am. When I’m feeling stressed or in a tense situation it definitely happens also.
I take a the lowest dose of Xanax and break off a small piece and place under my tongue and it subsides in seconds. I don’t necessarily advise this but for me to allows me to rebound quickly and I’ve never had a dosage change in over 10 years so I don’t abuse it. I’d love to find something natural but had no luck so far.
It feels like I’ve read in many of these articles... at tight turtle neck pressing on the front of my neck and that’s my only symptom.

You could have a form of vasculitis that is sensitive to caffeine, sugar and high calcium foods like milk. To check whether this is the problem, try about 20 mg of prednisolone a day and see whether the symptom stops.

20 mg of prednisone is quite hi. I am just reducing my prescription as the side effects are quite severe.

mine is at least partly caused by pelvic spasms occluding my pelvic (and femoral in particular) arteries. Blood flow to my brain is reduced and it feels like my lungs won't inflate fully, diaphragm straining, etc. It improves dramatically when i stand upright or lay in the right position flat. It causes me to snore when I'm flaring. (I don't normally snore.)

Anonymous

im a 14 year old girl with a very similar problem and i hate it im losing my mind, lately ive been very nervous and stressed an i dont know why and now i feel like someone has been strangling me, but very lightly and sometimes i cant breathe properly, also the thought of mt neck being touched i shiver and feel so deeply uncomfortable and i twitch a lot.

Anonymous

This can be a simple problem to fix...often the muscles in your neck get very tight from stress or posture and can actually give you a choking/ strangling sensation. Go see a massage therapist and they can relax the mucles around your throat. Immediate relief, but go often until the issue subsides. It's probably not a medical problem.

Anonymous

I have this same problem. It is very uncomfortable and sometimes it frightens me. I had my thyroid checked, I have stones but the doctors do not think they are cancerous, i was told that over 60% of people have stones and dont even know. So next I had a chest exray and tomarrow I am seeing a throat specialist. I will be have the camer down my throat im sure. So we will see. The feeling of being choked comes and goes throughout the day. I thought it was from anxiety and but now im starting to thing it is something else. I still take my anxiety meds for it though and I notice it goes away and sometimes it comes back. It is very uncomfortable. If anyone has figured it out how to stop it please let me know,

Anonymous

I have been having the same strangulation sensation for the last month. Its very upsetting.

I believe it is all stress related. I had the strangulation feeling for 2 weeks at the beginning of August 2017 (my job has always been stressful but I believe its all related to stress)....i decided to go on a break to my in laws farm for 2 and a half weeks....after 3 days of rest I was back to normal.....i could run again (as during this time I went from running 5 miles a day to not even being able to running for 30 seconds.....

Now I am back at work I literally have the same symptoms......everyone should decide if they love their stressful lives vs. taking it easy where possible.

I am going to see a cardiologist next week.

I am only 37, male, healthy, exercise daily and this has put a big dent in my normal everyday life.

Anonymous

Hi, I have the same strangling feeling (no pain just pressure) I had this about 5 years ago. I also have the sensation of my eyes feeling like they are "popping" out and pressure in my head.
Last time I finally got referred to an Electrophysiologist Cardiologist who diagnosed a form of Ventricular Tachycardia for which he did a catheter ablation.
I felt 10 years younger after the procedure as I could no ,anger feel my heart beating all the time. Apparently it is quite common for this condition of an irregular heart beat to return and it seems it may have. I am currently getting ECG and referral to a new cardio specialist as I have moved house.
I hope this helps some of you. Best of luck

Anonymous

Has anyone here heard of sjorgens syndrome or disease it seems to cause the dry or watery eyes and the strangled feeling xx

Tags: