Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have had very bad reactions to every thing from codine to morphine,is there an alternative for pain relief.

By Anonymous March 2, 2015 - 4:35am
Rate This

I am a 61 year old woman, I have saver arthritus for years in both knees shoulders and spine, I have heart problems a pacemaker and have recently been diagnose with heart failure.
I have been told I need knee replacement surgery but no one will do it because of my heart.
I have had bad reactions to everything form code to morphine, I have be hospitalised three times because I had been prescribed different forms of morphine.
Is there an alternative to morphine, I have been putting up with the pain for years but its getting on top of me now, is there any hope of easing my pain. The doctors even stopped me using a tens machine as it was effecing my pacemaker.

No one seems to understand what living with constant pain is like, even the heart failure nurse how came to visit me recentally said I don't know what were going to do to help yo
Can any one help.

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Living with chronic pain is a heavy burden.

Indeed, your medical conditions pose a challenge to finding relief.

Are you under the care of a rheumatologist for the severe arthritis in your knees?

Have non-medication options been discussed or tried? I am thinking of physical therapy, which can help increase range of motion and flexibility, as well as help strengthen the muscles in your leg.

Have you tried applying heat or ice, using pain-relieving ointments or creams, or wearing elastic bandages to provide support to the knees ? this may provide some relief from pain.

A cane, shock-absorbing shoes or inserts, or a brace or knee sleeve can be helpful. A brace assists with stability and function, and may be especially helpful if the arthritis is centered on one side of the knee. There are two types of braces that are often used for knee arthritis: An "unloader" brace shifts weight away from the affected portion of the knee, while a "support" brace helps support the entire knee load.

Have corticosteroids, also known as cortisone, injections been suggested?


March 2, 2015 - 9:52am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!