0 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.
Add a Comment3 Comments
i had kidney stone and now my kidney stone is remove. but my ultrasound report shows mild hydronephrosis is happen in left kidney now i want to know it resolve without treatment and how many time is required for itSeptember 30, 2017 - 5:29am
Will the operation for removing blockage be a major on r?Will patient need weeks of rest after it . I asked because i was diagnosed for a gross hyrdonephrosis puj obstructionOctober 14, 2012 - 9:29am
Hi Tayyab277,April 14, 2011 - 7:07am
Thank you for your question and for joining EmpowHER. According to our encyclopedia page on the condition: Hydronephrosis occurs when urine builds up in the kidneys and cannot drain out to the bladder. The kidneys swell from the excess urine. The condition may affect one kidney or both. Hydronephrosis is not a disease itself, but rather a sign of another disease or condition affecting the kidneys. Swelling of the kidneys can lead to kidney damage.
Treatment for this condition may include the following depending on your particular health and in communication with your doctor to determine the best possible treatment:
- Draining excess urine from the kidney
- Removing the blockage
- Treating conditions that cause blockage or reflux
- Treating infections in the urinary system
Some causes of hydronephrosis resolve without treatment (such as pregnancy and kidney stones).
Treatment options may include:
- Antibiotics to treat urinary tract infections
- Medications (eg, anticholinergic drugs) to treat neurogenic bladder
- Catheter inserted into the bladder to drain the urine
- Nephrostomy (a tube inserted into an opening in the midsection to drain urine from the kidney)
- Surgery to remove a blockage or correct a defect in the urinary system
- Surgery to remove part or all of the kidney (rare)
For more information, here is the page were I located this information: Hydronephrosis Information
Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.