Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Is it possible to have endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age of 19? If so how do i get a doctor to check for them?

By Anonymous November 9, 2008 - 12:54pm
Rate This

I have been having ovarian problems since the age of 13 every doctor that i have gone to puts me on birth control and sends me away without any further exams other than a pelvic exam. I am 19 and i suffer with this problem every day of my life and i sometimes can not get out of bed because it is so bad. I have been in the emergency room cause the pain has gotten so bad one time 2 years ago and they diagnosed it as Pelvic Inflammatory disease, gav e me antibiotics and sent me home. Now as i understand that is serious but if caught in time oral antibiotics are given (in my case) or some cases are severe they have to do intraveinous antibiotics. I kept going back to the doctor while he was trying everything to figure out why i was having these problems, still nothing.

This was a basic routine every week go to the doctor have blood work done and get no where with it. I was sick of being poked and proded at every week while my body was in pain. I am tired of getting same old results of nothing is wrong. Sometimes doctors look at you like you are nuts. As a patient do i have the right to request a laporoscopy to check for endometriosis? What do i do i am tired of being in pain?

Add a Comment4 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

you are not to young to have endometriosis, i was very ill the same as you..back and forth to doctors, spent half of my year last year in hospital...i asked to have a laprascopy and got one, although she wouldnt put me on the emergency list because she didnt think anything was wrong with me..so i waited 6 more months..and at the age of 17 got diognosed with endometriosis, best advice i can give you is dont give up..its your body and you need to get answers..keep asking.

August 9, 2010 - 5:20am
EmpowHER Guest

I am so sorry for all your pain i feel for you i really do.

Well to ansewer your question "yes" you can get endometriosis and poly cystic ovary syndrome at such a young age. I have been through everything you have and i just turned 18. I found out last year that i had both. It took me a few emergency room visits and i was in the doctor day after day one doctor after the other and i seemed to be sgetting no where with them. It just takes you litterly having to tell them that you know that there is something majorly wrong.

February 25, 2009 - 8:12pm

PCOS and endometriosis are both common, and should be taken seriously by your doctor! The very knowledgeable gynecologists at the university I worked at wanted EVERY female to learn, and understand, about PCOS. These college students were 18, 19, 20 and 21 years of age that the doctors were diagnosing with this conditions. You are NOT too young!

Please advocate for yourself and find another health care provider who will listen to you about your signs, symptoms and fears. It is better to rule out conditions, and you have every right to figure out what is causing you pain. Print out the literature about both conditions that miscortes provided to you, stating that you've done your research and would like to be tested for these conditions. Take a friend or family member with you, for support.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but many other women are as well. There are some patient, responsive, empathetic and intelligent health care providers out there who DO care about your health and well-being.

November 9, 2008 - 7:29pm
EmpowHER Guest

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing so much pain.

I found some information that may help with understanding Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and endometriosis.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal disorder usually occurring during baby bearing ages. This is also a leading cause of infertility in woman. There is a lot of information about causes, syndromes, and treatments that can be found on these websites.



is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus (the endometrial stroma and glands, which should only be located inside the uterus) is found elsewhere in the body.

This is also a common baby bearing age disorder that will cause pain and discomfort. The National Institute of Health provides a wealth of information on symptoms, treatments and causes of endometriosis and that can be found here


My advise about your physician is maybe you should go for a second opinion. Since you are in considerable pain, your physician should be trying to find an alternative treatment to the birth control pill.

I hope this information helps you and please let us know how you are doing.

November 9, 2008 - 3:26pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.