Facebook Pixel

is it possible to remove tvt mesh safely? (the entire amount of it)

By November 20, 2011 - 6:58pm
Rate This

i unfortunately had a tvt bladder sling on 10-18-11, without researching it. i want to have it removed asap. am having some discomfort but don't want to wait until i have serious problems. i know not everybody has problems, but i don't want to wait until i do. from what i have researched, removing it before alot of time has passed is better. please advise me. my doctor said she has never had problems before and doesn't want to hear my concerns. she said to "just forget about it since it is already done". she said i was advised of the risk, but not really. i know that it is important to get a doctor with experience because it is a difficult surgery. how do i find a qualified doctor to do it? anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Add a Comment3 Comments

i guess i wasn't real clear in how i asked my question. i want the mesh removed and none put in it's place. i am 6 weeks post op and feel like i am sitting on a pin cushion. went for 6 week check up today and was told all is healed and to get back to my normal routine. i mentioned still having discharge and was told i shouldn't have that after stitches are healed. no other info. i read today that "mesh erosion should be considered as a possible cause of chronic persistant vaginal discharge". my dr says she has never had a problem in all the years she's done the tvt procedure. something isn't right. she said let her know if pain continues. she says it can't be taken out. don't know what to do. what i am feeling is very real and i am hesitant to do much (activity wise) because i'm concerned the pain will get worse. how do i find a qualified doctor who will listen and can get this mesh out?

November 30, 2011 - 2:56pm
(reply to susiemariek)


Thank you for clarifying that for me. Your current doctor's response seems rather vague and more about you questioning her skills rather than her looking into the actual complaints you have. You can look for a Urologist or a UroGynecologist (a gynecologist who specializes in urology). If you do not want to ask your doctor for a referral then you can always do a google search for a urogynecologist in your area. Calling one of the bigger hospitals in your area and asking for a urogynecologist is also a good idea--most hospitals have a Physician Referral Service. 

Hope you find some comfort and someone who is willing to listen,


December 1, 2011 - 7:05am

Hi Susiemariek,

What kind of side effects are you having that are making you want to undo the work that this doctor did and have the same surgery again with another doctor? It is important that you understand that if you are experiencing possible side effects then the same thing is likely to happen with a second surgery-- that's if you can find a doctor willing to undo another doctor's work and re-do it. 

Prior to surgery, all doctors are required to inform patients of the risks associated with the surgery, and then they ask you to sign something known as an informed consent. I can't stress enough how many patients sign this paper without actually understanding what the risks of their surgery are. Please ask detailed questions to your current doctor, she knows your history and surgery results better than anyone else. Perhaps if she cannot undo, she can at least suggest how to make the side effects less bothersome/painful. 

Best Wishes,


November 21, 2011 - 5:23am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.