My period was supposed to start two weeks ago, but it hasn't yet. I don't know what's happening. My boyfriend and I had protected sex three weeks ago and I took a pregnancy test a week ago. What is happening?

By Anonymous December 19, 2016 - 6:53am

Welcome to EmpowHER. Thank you for reaching out to our community for an answer to why your period is late.

How old are you? Do you have a history of an irregular menstrual cycle? Are you or have you taken any medication since your last period? Are you under more stress? Have you recently been ill? Have you recently traveled, especially through a different time zone? Have you recently experienced a significant change in weight, either gain or loss? Have you recently increased your level of exercise or physical activity?

Anonymous, the menstrual cycle is regulated by a precise balance of hormones. Any upset can cause a delayed or missed period. Any of the above mentioned can affect your menstrual cycle.