Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

My urethra looks like a gland rather than an opening?

By Anonymous February 15, 2013 - 4:43pm
Rate This

Hi, I noticed that my urethra looks more like a gland, almost like a skin flap that separates when I pee and then you can see a hole within it, rather than just a direct hole. It's also located where it covers almost half my vaginal opening.. Is that normal? I haven't had intercourse yet so maybe there's still hymen covering part of the vaginal opening, although I can't exactly tell if that's what it is. I'm a bit concerned if that's normal, but there's absolutely no pain and all is fine, I've had that for years. I use tampons with no issues. Thanks for your help.

Add a Comment2 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

The urethra is a tube that connects the bladder to the outside of the body. In females, the urethra is about 4 centimeters in length and emerges above the vaginal opening.

I am confused--how can you see it, especially when you are urinating? I do not know what you are seeing. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gynecologist. This is something that needs to be physically evaluated.


February 15, 2013 - 6:12pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

thanks for your reply. I'm aware of what a urethra is i'm a nursing student :). I looked with a mirror to see where the stream comes out of. I guess it is hard to explain on the web.

February 15, 2013 - 6:52pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.