Facebook Pixel

Should I try to have my kid's father sign away his rights and what are his current rights?

By March 1, 2011 - 5:47pm
Rate This

The situation is this: My daughter is 3 1/2 yrs old and her father has only seen her a few times before. He hasn't seen her since she was a baby. His name is not on the birth certificate. My daughter has my last name. I did not put his name on any paperwork at the hospital. There has never been a formal custody arrangement. There IS paternity and a child support order however because I was a single mom going to college(I graduate in 2 months!) and so I was applying for assistance and my case worker told me that I had to do that in order for my daughter to receive title 19 health insurance. I did not want to, but I did because I thought I had to. I broke up with my ex when I was a little over a month pregnant(unknowingly). He has a long criminal record involving various meth and assault charges. Most recently I have heard that he was caught making meth last fall and handed a class B felony along with two class D felonies. I looked this up and a class B will land you a maximun 20 yr prison sentence and the D's will each give you a maximum 5 yr sentence. I have a few speeding teckets. I also will have two BS degrees in two months and he dropped out of high school after driver's ed. He also got married about 2 yrs ago and I have heard that he is abusive to his wife. He was also abusive in our relationship although I left when it was starting to head in that direction.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: What are his current rights to my daughter? Could I have him sign away his rights? What could I do if he refused to sign away his rights? If he does go to prison for some years, does this do anything for making it easier to remove his rights? Hypothetically, if I got married and my husband wanted to adopt her what steps would I need to take before he could begin to adopt her?

I want to do what is in the best interest of my child. My ex possibbly having rights to her totally freaks me out. It also freaks me out when I think of my daughter's future and how her father is definately not a positive role model and influence for a child.

Add a Comment2 Comments

What state are you in? In NJ, for example, parents rights are considered equal regardless of gender: NJ Fathers Rights. Good luck! As Maryann said, sounds like you need legal advice!

August 11, 2011 - 2:21pm

Hi rokstarbaby,
You are asking for legal advice and need legal counseling. This is a website designed to address women's health issues.

March 1, 2011 - 6:44pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Political Issues

Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!