Facebook Pixel

Someone just made a site claiming to be me, adding almost nude photos of me, I'm not sure how to deal with this, or what actions to take?

By February 27, 2010 - 8:50pm
Rate This

Someone made a site claiming to be me, adding photots I took myself, I never gave them to anyone, my ex husband is the only one I can think who could of taken them. And I contacted the site and its been removed, but I'm not sure how to find out who made the site, and how to take legal action. I'm very insecure and it bothers me that someone would do something like this to me.
And I'm not sure how to overcome this feeling I have now, and to move past this?
The only reason I even found out about the website, is the fact that whoever made it added a few of my friends/family.. and they contacted me, because they knew I'd never show myself like that? I know people would say I'm a slut or stupid for taking the pictures, but I never have any intentions to show them to the world. And now whatever trust I had, is gone.

Add a Comment1 Comments

I am so sorry this happened to you! It's great that you have supportive friends and family that would alert you to the fact the website existed, and you did the right thing by contacting the site's administrator to have it removed.

Is the site's administrator (ISP..internet service provider) able to provide you with information regarding what account created the fraudulent website? If not, do you still have proof of the website? (since it has been removed, there are cached copies of the site that can be retrieved, either on your internet browser, your friend/families or the site administrator can send it to you). In case you need to talk with an ISP or other person, you can ask for the cached copy (pronounced "cashed"), so they know what you are referring to.

What was done to you was awful, and your feelings of mistrust and hurt are normal for a person who has been victimized by a crime. This crime could be characterized as a domestic violence crime, since it was likely from your ex-husband, or any type of cyber bully, threat, etc.

You have many options as a victim of an internet (cyber) crime, depending on the exact circumstances, your age, and where you live. Here is a good place to start:
- Cyberstalking Laws.
- You can also contact your local domestic violence center, as they may have more information about who to contact (lawyers, etc) for women who have been victimized. The National Domestic Violence hotline: 1.800.799.SAFE (7233) and website: http://www.ndvh.org/

If you would like help in researching your options, I could search for more specific resources in your area (just need your city/state (assuming you are in the U.S.). Feel free to send to me privately by clicking on my name, in orange, above.

Please let us know how we can help.

February 28, 2010 - 2:40pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Emotional Health

Get Email Updates

Emotional Health Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!