Facebook Pixel

Suffering from menorrhagia and ammenorhea (I know oxymoron right? Please just read it)

By February 2, 2010 - 10:49pm
Rate This

hi, i know the title is confusing, but for the past 2 years i have been only getting a period every 4 months and when it comes it is really really heavy and painful and lasts about a week to two weeks. and i pretty much have daily pelvic pain but its livable (i have lived with the pain for about 2 years)
(no possible chance of being pregnant im a virgin)
what could these symptoms be caused by? for a while i thought it sounded like i just have a very large uterus that takes a long time to fill up. could that be true?

(btw im comming here because i have not had a period for about 3 months and about 3 days ago i started getting worse pelvic pain and spotting but not a whole period)

Add a Comment5 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Anon - Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal disorder among women of childbearing age. There are approximately 5 to 7 million women with this condition in the U. S. alone. You can learn more from our PCOS reference page: https://www.empowher.com/condition/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome
and also from videos from Dr. Susan Sklar:
While you may want to discuss this with your regular doctor, a gynecologist would be the best qualified physician to treat PCOS.
Take care, Pat

February 9, 2010 - 6:00pm

so what is pcos?
and what kind of doc should i see for this problem?, i have never seen a gyno and i in no way am planning to start now (i feel too young)

February 9, 2010 - 3:35pm
(reply to happyflowers)

Hey, I'm late to the discussion, happyflowers, but you are NOT too young to see a gynecologist if you are past puberty! If you have started menstruating and especially if you have any kind of issues (as in your intitial post), a gyn is the kind of specialist to see--you do not have to be sexually active, it's all about the gyn's specialization in female genitals and reproductive system. I hope the doc visit was useful!

August 6, 2010 - 10:48am

thank you for ur comment, i'm set to visit my doc next month

February 3, 2010 - 6:37pm


Have you seen a gynecologist about this? It may be necessary to have some blood work done as well as asking additional questions to determine why you are having these irregular but heavy periods. Based on the information you provided, it could very well be PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or something else. Unfortunately, we at Empowher cannot diagnose you with what you have but suggest what it can possibly be or better yet recommend to see a professional who will definitely give you an answer to your concerns.

Please keep us updated with your diagnosis as soon as you get to see a doctor.

February 3, 2010 - 6:16am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Menstrual Cycle

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Menstrual Cycle Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!