Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Viewing scar tissue on Muscles

By Anonymous September 21, 2010 - 1:44am
Rate This

Can scar tissue be viewed from an Ultrasound machine on a muslce that was possibley injured from a strain. If there is scar tissue there could it cause pain in the hands, wrisits and cause muscle tension in the forarms a year later by reinjuring that muscle do to a repetative work such as typing? The muscle that wass possibley injured was the left upper back muscle around the back shoulder blade. A year later, I typed too much in one day and I have had pain starting with the hands all the way up to that muscle area. I have seen 3 doctors trying to find out what is wrong and can't get a diagnosis. Im making another appointment with another to beg for an MRI of all these areas to check for tendonitis and etc...

Add a Comment4 Comments

To answer your question, yes, an ultrasound can show scar tissue. Here is more information: "Conclusion: Ultrasound and MRI are both useful imaging modalities in defining the location, extent and severity of muscle injury. These modalities can assess healing or scar tissue formation, detect associated complications, predict prognosis and monitor treatment response in muscle injuries. ... MRI provides better image contrast resolution than ultrasound...occasionally however, both modalities are utilized as the imaging findings may be complementary. The choice of imaging modality will also depend on the local availability, cost, expertise and local clinical practice."

LLS Wong, J HK Coll Radiol 2005;8:191-201.  "Imaging of Muscle Injuries" Accessed at: http://www.hkcr.org/publ/Journal/vol8no4/full/191-201%20Imaging.pdf

This site was found to be helpful to one of our members (please view with caution, as it is not a medically-approved site): http://www.1backpain.com/backmusclespasm.htm#Ultrasound

September 21, 2010 - 2:10pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thanks..I will ask when I call for a doctor appointment and ask if they can atleast check for scar tissue due to a possible old injury that way if I have any, I will get proper treatment for it and know that Im not wasting my money.

September 22, 2010 - 1:49am

Can you provide us with some more information? The three doctors you have seen...you said they "can't get a diagnosis". Can you tell us specifically what tests they conducted, what they recommended as far as prevention or treatment or further testing? What type(s) of doctors were they (specialists in a particular field)?

September 21, 2010 - 1:10pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

I saw two orthopedic doctors. One whom I had order an MRI to rule out disc problems with my neck. The mri was great but the regular xray showed reversal of cervical lordosis due to my upper back neck being spasmadic caused from the lower extremeties. He tested for strengthness and basiclly told me the second time I went that I needed to calm down and get on an anti-depressant. Well, I was not depressed when the symptoms came on. It was from typing that day. Would be a bad idea to get on an anti-depressant right now due to the other meds that I am taking. He said it could be stress and Fibro even though I dont have 11 points of tenderness and pain. That does not add up. The other doctor was a Neuro who did all the hand tests on me and was going to have me come back for a Nerve conduction test and I was told it would cost me $500 even though I had met my deductable. I told him I would try to rule out cheaper alternatives because he told me that sometimes, a nerve conduction test is not always accurate. I just went to the hand specialist and he did the hand tests on me and he said he could not pin point any issues.. I asked if it could be tendonitis or tennis elbow and he said it was possible. all he did was refer me to somone else and gave me prescription for physical therapy. I will go but what Im I soppose to treat. I read that for some issues, activities should cease before returning to the activities that cause my pain. I have not had one doctor try to give me an MRI of my arm/elbow or check for inflammation using by means of an Ultrasound. What do I do,demand it because Im about to but I dont want to tell the doctor what he is going to do but I may ask them to please check anyway. Im throwing money away everytime I walk out those doors without ruling something out. Seems Repetitive Injurys are hard to diagnose but I have not been given all the options that they have of diagnosing it. I am going to try another docotor soon. I've been taking or have tried taking every med out there and no relief. I've already exhausted concervative measures other than cortisone and physical therapy but i do light stretching.

September 22, 2010 - 1:46am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.