If you want to add two hours to your life, all you may need is a pair of sneakers and a little time -- at least according to the American Heart Association. Today, kicks off National Start Walking day. The organization is recommending taking your sneakers to work and getting your colleagues involved. The benefits of walking they say include:
* Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
* Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
* Improve blood lipid profile
* Enhance mental well-being
* Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
* Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
* Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
They also say for every hour of regular, vigorous exercise we do -- like brisk walking -- we can live two hours.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.