What's wrong with my cycle

I'm 17 I've only had sex once 7 months ago. I have had a period for the last 6 months and now I'm a week late. Can I be pregnant? I'm too scared to take a test.

Welcome to EmpowHER. I am glad you reached out to our community with your concern about a late period this month.

Your period would not be late because you are pregnant because you had sex seven months ago, and have had a period each month for the last six months.

The menstrual cycle is regulated by a precise balance of hormones. Any upset in that balance will cause a change or irregularity.

Have your menstrual cycles been regular since you first started menstruating?

High stress, a dramatic change in your physical exercise, a major change in your weight and illness, such as having the flu can all cause a late or missed period. Have you had any of these things happen in the last month?