I have to tell you one of my secrets. I LOVE coconut oil. One jar of coconut oil can do so much for your body—inside and out. Yup, that’s what I said- I use coconut oil in my cooking and on my skin. There used to be some buzz that you should avoid coconut oil because it’s a saturated fat, but coconut oil is derived from plants, so it’s different from saturated fats derived from animals. No worries! Coconut oil is good for you! It promotes a healthy immune system, increased energy and heart health.
Coconut oil is a super food because it has all sorts of benefits to your body …
• Coconut oil can boost your thyroid function and help you increase your metabolism and endurance. Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides or MCTs that help you burn energy efficiently.
• Coconut oil aids digestion and helps your body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
• Coconut oil can help you get healthy cholesterol numbers by boosting your HDL or good cholesterol.
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so now you won't be surprised at how solid it looks in the jar!
Try these six uses for coconut oil …
1. Get cooking. A great oil with a high smoke point, coconut oil helps you cook at a higher temperature without burning your food and won’t break down into a trans fat (not a good fat!). It’s perfect for baking, stir-frying and broiling. You also can use it as a dairy-free replacement to butter (1:1 ratio).
2. Bye Bye vegetable oil. You can use coconut oil as a replacement for vegetable oils in any recipe. I use coconut oil to sauté veggies and make popcorn. I love coconut oil to roast brussel sprouts—delish!
3. Get your daily dose. Taken as a supplement for daily energy. Just take one tablespoon. Not only will it rev up your energy, but it also can help with healthy weight loss and a good night’s sleep.
4. Smooth as a baby. Keep a jar of coconut oil in your bathroom and put some on your skin after you get out of the shower. It’s a little greasy so you probably don’t want to use before you are about to get dressed up and go out and about. Put it on your skin for those days when you have time to lounge around. Coconut oil keeps my skin so smooth and soft. Select an organic version of coconut oil so you can gain the benefits of the antioxidant vitamin E without the absorption of pesticides through your skin.
5. Hello Sunshine. If you don’t have fair skin, you can use coconut oil as a natural sunscreen. Avoid those toxic sunscreens and skip compromising ingredients for the natural protection of coconut oil. (This is for occasional sun exposure not a day at the beach!)
6. Sick no more. Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from cold or flu or just take a tablespoon and let it dissolve down your throat (like honey). This will coat and protect the throat, boost the health of mucus membranes, and fight infection.
Add a tablespoon to your oatmeal or spread it thinly on sprouted-grain bread. Make healthy fats http://chrisfreytag.com/portfolio/five-fats-you-should-be-eating-for-health-and-weight-loss/ part of your regular weekly routine and control your blood sugar, steady your moods and invest in your overall health! Yeah coconut oil!
Do you already use coconut oil or are you going to start? I’d love to hear from you! Write a comment and tell us what you think!
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.