In case you haven't already heard the news on my Facebook page or Twitter, today I'm taking part in an exclusive challenge by the EmpowHER network. It's called the EmpowHER BodyMedia FITness Challenge, and along with five other bloggers, we're testing out the BodyMedia FIT device and recording our experiences.
What is the BodyMedia FIT?
So what is the BodyMedia FIT?
BodyMedia FIT automatically tracks the calories burned during your daily activities — from pumping iron to using an iron — and monitors the quality of your sleep, an important factor in weight loss. Add in the easy-to-use food log and you have the information you need to improve your weight loss. The 3 part system includes:
1. An Armband that automatically captures data
2. An optional Display device or free downloadable mobile apps that give you up-to-the-minute readings throughout the day
3. An online Activity Manager* that analyzes raw data, allows you to log food and presents info in an easy-to-understand way
It's essentially a device that shows you precisely how many calories you're burning--and how active you are throughout the day. There's no more guesswork or figuring out complicated formulas to find your true calorie burn. You simply wear the armband for most of the day (BodyMedia FIT recommends wearing it 23 hours a day) and go about your day.
When you want to see your progress, simply connect the armband to the computer via USB cable to automatically see your total calorie burn, sleep duration, steps walked, and amount of physical activity.
What I Hope to Achieve During the BodyMedia FITness Challenge
Although I've already managed to shed around 40lbs (and 10% body fat!), I've still struggled to stay active from week to week. My biggest obstacle? I work from home--I'm a professional freelance writer--so I'm definitely not a lot. I know fitness is important for my physical health as well as eating a balanced diet, so I definitely want to improve my habit.
So far, this is what I have been committing to:
- 2-3 days of weight training
- An occasional walk during the weekend
Other than my intermittent weight training, I'm usually sitting at the computer for around 12 hours a day. Yeah--I definitely don't move around a lot! Here's what I hope to make a habit with the BodyMedia FIT:
- I want to go for a nice, soothing walk once a day. It's not just to become more physically active; walking more will also help me deal with the daily stresses of life.
- I want to have active weekends. I typically walk around the mall or go to a restaurant during the weekends, but I want to change that. My goal is to fit in a hike or something more physically active on Saturday and Sunday.
- I'm also hoping it will help me shed just a little more body fat. I'm a bodybuilder, so I'd like to cut away just a little more body fat before I head into my bulking stage, where I'll eat more to gain more muscle mass. I hope that this challenge will prepare me to enter that stage. I'll keep tabs on my fat-shedding by measuring my waist and hip measurements every week.
I'm sure some of you are in my same position: You work a sedentary job and just don't get to move much. Hopefully the BodyMedia FIT will motivate me to change my sedentary habits.
Want to change yours too? I encourage you to join me by buying your own BodyMedia FIT and joining in on the conversation on Twitter (use the hashtag #FITblogger).
This challenge lasts for six weeks, so I hope you'll follow along--and if you want to join me, I wish you good luck!
“Disclosure: Device and accompanying online Activity Manager subscription was provided by BodyMedia via EmpowHER. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of BodyMedia or EmpowHER.”