Thin pieces of porcelain used for recreating the natural look of teeth are called porcelain veneers. They are also able to offer the resilience and strength that’s comparable to natural tooth enamel. These veneers are often the top choice of people who are interested in improving their smile through small position alterations or for changing the size, shape or color of their teeth.
You have to visit a dentist for a consultation in order to determine if these veneers are the right option for you or if you can go for other alternate solutions. It is essential that you communicate with your dentist about what exactly you want fixed if you want to see successful results. You should take some time to identify the cosmetic improvements you want to see. It is common for people to be misled by people and the media who claim that celebrities have picture-perfect smiles due to dental veneers, which tempts you to consider them. However, the truth is that every mouth and face is different and you should carefully research the various types of veneers before you decide to include them in your treatment plan.
A smile analysis is typically what the dentist begins with for determining the necessary steps to achieving your desired smile. Moreover, the dentist may also create a diagnostic mock-up, which gives you the opportunity of trying on the veneers and other procedures to see if the final result is what you are after. The dentist may also use cosmetic imaging, which involves creating a photograph of how your smile will look, to help you in making a decision. Deciding porcelain veneers is the right way to go is only the first step.
The Hows and Whys
A compilation of a few thin ceramic layers and an adhesive layer can be found in porcelain laminate veneers, which are aimed at replacing the original tooth enamel. Only a small amount of the original tooth enamel, not more than a millimeter, should be removed for applying the veneer. Dr. James Malouf, a cosmetic dentist from Brisbane Australia, writes on his website Cosmeticdentistinbrisbane.com.au that the correct amount of enamel removal is crucial because it creates room in the mouth for fitting in the porcelain veneer and is also effective in restoring the natural function of the tooth simultaneously giving you a better appearance than your original tooth.
The bond between the porcelain veneer and original tooth is deemed critical because correct veneer function can only be achieved with a strong bond and it also gives the desired esthetic perfection. Light-sensitive resin is placed between the porcelain veneer and the original tooth and a special curing light is used for hardening it.
In many situations, porcelain veneers are deemed to be a very successful option where the original tooth has developed poor contours, shape and color. It is also a good choice when you have gaps between teeth, fractured teeth and even when the tooth’s position has been compromised and small bite-related problems are occurring. In addition, bleaching or tooth whitening doesn’t do the job of dealing with superficial stains in some situations so porcelain veneers become the best option.
Apart from aesthetic appeal, porcelain veneers can offer a multitude of benefits to people. Some of the top perks are outlined below:
- Strength and durability: First and foremost, a strong and durable material is used for making porcelain veneers so they are not likely to break easily and you can continue enjoying your favorite foods without having to worry.
- Long-lasting solution: As long as you maintain them properly, your porcelain veneers will last for 10 to 15 years.
- Customized for you: Porcelain veneers are custom-made for every person as impressions of your teeth are sent to the lab. Thus, they are hand-crafted according to your tooth size.
- Natural-looking results: Since these veneers are customized for every person, they are made to suit the natural color of their tooth.
- Cosmetic perks: Porcelain veneers are great for improving teeth that are chipped, cracked, widely spaced, badly discolored, broken or slightly misaligned. They are usually used for cosmetic reasons and are typically used on the visible teeth in the front.
- Quick and simple procedure: The best part about getting porcelain veneers is that the procedure is not time consuming at all. It will just take two visits and you will have your veneers.
- Stain-resistant: As opposed to natural teeth, porcelain veneers don’t stain easily. This allows you to have pearly whites while still consuming tea, coffee and other products that otherwise stain your teeth.
- No recovery: There is no recovery time required for porcelain veneers. As soon as the procedure is done, you can leave the dentist’s office and continue with your normal everyday activities.
- Enhance confidence: One of the most prominent benefits of getting porcelain veneers is that it gives you a beautiful smile, which makes you feel more confident about your appearance thereby improving the quality of life.