There are no guidelines for preventing an aneurysm because the cause is not known. However, you can reduce some of your risk factors by following these recommendations:
- Eat a healthful diet, one that is low in saturated fat and rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Don't smoke. If you smoke, quit.
- Maintain a healthful weight.
- Begin a safe exercise program as recommended by your doctor.
- Seek treatment for high blood pressure, syphilis, and other infections.
- If you have Marfan syndrome, see your doctor regularly for monitoring and CT scans.