To help prevent a neck fracture:
- Do not put yourself at risk for trauma to the cervical bones.
- Always wear a seatbelt when driving in a car.
- Wear proper padding and safety equipment when participating in sports or activities.
- Use proper tackling techniques in football – do not spear with the helmet
- Never dive in the shallow end of a pool.
- Never dive into water where you do not know the depth or what obstacles may be present.
- Eat a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D .
- Do weight-bearing exercises to build strong bones.
- Build strong muscles to prevent falls and to stay active and agile.