Apply ice or a cold pack to your nose for 15 to 20 minutes, several times a day for several days. This helps reduce pain and swelling. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin.
The following drugs help reduce inflammation and pain:
Setting the Bones
The doctor may:
- Drain any blood that may have collected in the septum
Set the fracture by:
- Moving the bone back to its normal position
- Stabilizing the bone with gauze packing on the inside and a splint or tape on the outside
Surgery may be needed to set the fracture if:
- The fracture is severe
- The nose is severely misshapen
- The fracture impairs breathing
If you are diagnosed with a nose fracture, follow your doctor's instructions .