While it is difficult to prevent this condition, following these guidelines can help to prevent accidents and strains:
- At work, ask about ergonomics. A consultant can assess how you work. Some examples include learning correct lifting techniques, improving your posture, and sitting correctly.
- Avoid contact sports if you have had disk disease with compression of the spinal cord.
- Limit neck movement.
Take these measures to prevent falls:
- Remove throw rugs and other obstacles from the floor.
- Install a night-light near stairs and bed.
- Install handrails in tub and shower.
- Rise slowly from a sitting or lying position.