Most types of food poisoning improve in 12-48 hours. There aren't many treatments available to speed your recovery from food poisoning.
Drink plenty of fluids. If you are severely ill, you may need intravenous fluids.
Some types of bacterial food poisoning can be treated with antibiotics.
This includes the following:
- Take acetaminophen for fever, aches, and pains.
- Place a hot water bottle or heating pad on your stomach to help relieve abdominal pain.
- Start by drinking only clear liquids or sucking on ice chips. Then try eating soft, bland foods, as you are able to eat without vomiting.
- Avoid milk products for several days, only if their consumption worsens symptoms.
- Check with your doctor before you use antidiarrheal medications.
If you have botulism poisoning, there is an antitoxin you can take.
If you are diagnosed with food poisoning, follow your doctor's instructions .