Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include the following:
- Splinting the affected toe
- Switching to properly sized footwear with roomy toe boxes
- Splints, straps, cushions, or corn pads to relieve symptoms
- Applying an appropriate moisturizing cream to keep the skin soft
Severe cases require an operation to straighten the joint.
- Tendons may be cut or transferred.
- The middle joint of the toe may be fused together.
If you are diagnosed with hammer toe, follow your doctor's instructions.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.