Treatment will vary depending on the severity of the sunburn. The first and most important step in treatment involves getting out of the sun at the first sign of redness or tingling. Stay out of the sun until the skin is fully healed. This may take several weeks.
In addition, you can do the following:
- Apply a cool water compress to soothe raw, hot skin.
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatories.
- Take oral or topical corticosteroids. These will help to shorten the course of pain and inflammation. Topical steroids may not relieve skin redness.
- Take prescription antibiotics if an infection develops.
- Be extra careful to protect skin after it peels. The skin is very sensitive after peeling.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.