The greatest benefit you get from working out at home is time saved! For example, I save 1 hour of round trip drive time when I workout at home or near home. That adds up to at least 5 hours saved during the week! We all need more FREE TIME!
If you work at home then a home workout might not be for you. You probably need to get away from home for a while to transition away from work. But wait, there’s still hope for you! Just workout at the schoolyard or neighborhood park down the street! And, if you’re traveling, workout in your hotel room or gym. Convenience is the key! The more convenient the access to your “workout facility,” the less likely you are to say, “I don’t have time to workout.” The truth is that we all have at least 30 minutes in our day to exercise! And, 30 minutes of exercise is all you need!
You don't need much equipment to workout! Many of your exercises can be bodyweight exercises. Dumbbells, medicine balls, stability balls and resistance tubes also come in handy.
So, here are my Top 10 Home Workout Tips:
1. Walk 30 minutes at a moderate pace. Walking is one of the best, low impact exercises available. An alternative would be to walk during your work breaks. You burn more calories doing two 15-minute walks than one 30-minute walk. You can walk every day.
2. Do a 20-minute cardio routine or sport that you like such as biking, jogging, tennis, soccer, swimming, rock climbing, basketball, flag football, etc. Do this fun cardio at least 1 day a week.
3. Do a 20-minute bodyweight strength exercise workout. You need to build lean muscle in order to burn fat and speed up your metabolism. Squats, planks, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, step-ups, triceps dips and bridges are examples of great bodyweight exercises. Do your bodyweight exercise routine at least 2 days a week.
4. Stay active at home during the day! One of the best calorie-burners is yardwork, especially mowing the lawn with a push mower. Trimming hedges, house chores and raking leaves also burns many calories.
5. Exercise while watching your favorite television shows.