Facebook Pixel

Attending Doctors' Appointments is a Full-Time Job

Rate This

Another full day! Today was filled with doctor appointments and traveling from here to there. Once again, my body was supercharged on minimal sleep and I was ready to take on the day.

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Kukinoor, the Oncologist this morning. This is the second time I have seen him outside of the hospital. We went over the medication list and made some alterations including reducing the steriods as well as adjusting my Coumadin levels. I have noticed over the past day or so that my right ankle and leg is starting to get really swollen again from the blood clot. This time the ankle doesn’t hurt, but it definitely is something that needed to be addressed.

I have an appointment set for tomorrow to get another ultrasound as a safety precaution. In addition, I was able to schedule the B12 shots, and fertility shot (temporarily puts me into menopause) for next week as well as my second official round of chemo. I finally feel like we are moving FORWARD to battle the actual cancer instead of dealing with all of the distractions along the way! For the second round of chemo, the doctor changed from Cisplatin to Carboplatin. The two chemo drugs are very similar, but apparently the “carbo” has less nausea associated, which would be an issue for me especially since the “heaving” motion of throwing up could cause some severe pain in my rib area.

This afternoon I went with my parents to the Village on Camelback, the place where I use to workout. For those of you that know me, know well that I practically lived there! Today was the first time since January that I stepped foot inside the club. I was immediately greeted by familiar faces asking where I have been and then others acknowledging that they had heard the news of the diagnosis. It felt really good strolling back to the locker room and putting on workout clothes as if nothing had changed. I guess this time, the difference was that I was wearing a large pink brace on top of my clothes. I figured the only type of exercise that would be safe at this point is sitting on the recumbnant bike. My friend Erika and I rode the bikes for about 30 minutes.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Lung Cancer

Get Email Updates

Lung Cancer Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!