Facebook Pixel

Home Again and Tired After Chemo

Rate This

Yesterday was my first round of Chemo. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the docs had found a blood clot in my leg and my lung. I remained in the hospital to make sure my I&R levels (having to do with the viscosity of the blood) were between 2-3.

Basically, if levels are too high then the blood is too thin and you bleed from your gums, nose, etc. They thought it would be best just to remain at St. Joes through the chemo treatment. I was very excited about this. As an inpatient, I would have my own private room and have the chemo treatment in my bed with lots of privacy. Normally, chemo treatment is done as outpatient and you are in a room for hours with several other people and there is not a lot of privacy.

So, my first experience wasn’t all that bad. The first two 1/2 hours was a hydrating drip, then hour 1/2 of the chemo, and then another 2 hours of hydrating stuff. I think there was another treatment mixed in there at some point because I remember the nurse making me lay down to make sure my blood pressure wasn’t rising. I had friends in an out all day throughout the treatment and it definitely helped the time pass. I think I fell asleep a couple times, but don’t quite remember who was there and when I was sleeping.

I was finally discharged last night and home at last. I had a pile of mail and gifts that I just opened today. Thanks Everyone! One of the gifts I received was a $25 gift card for itunes, but it didn’t have a name of who it was from. If you are reading this please let me know! =)

Today I woke up extremely sore and tired. I feel fried! In the hospital, I would have nurses waking me up throughout the night checking my vitals and it would remind me to take my pain killers. Last night I slept the entire night through and didn’t take anything until 6am…which was a little too late. Pain had already set in. It is the strangest thing when you are in so much pain you actually feel like death is near.

I had a doc appointment at 8am to have my blood checked. I grudgingly went to shower and then immediately felt light headed and dizzy. My dad and I (who is the caregiver of the week), moved the appointment back and eventually made it at 10am.

Add a Comment1 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

My uncle went trough chemo and since he has no kids, I was always there with him to keep him company and help in any way needed. As you described it, he also said he felt as tired as if he smoked 5 cigars at a time while running around the neighborhood. I could actually see the fatigue on his face and hands. Now he's much better and, hopefully, cured for good. So, good luck with everything and I'm waiting for the "I'm healthy as a horse" article!

June 22, 2009 - 10:41am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Lung Cancer

Get Email Updates

Lung Cancer Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!