Do you want to quit smoking in 2012? Are you tired of being addicted or of spending your spare cash on cigarettes? Perhaps you are worried about the effects of passive smoking for your relatives. Unfortunately cigarette smoking causes the deaths of 443,000 Americans every year, making it the biggest preventable cause of disease, disability and death in the United States.
About 49,000 of these deaths were people who were breathing in second-hand smoke. Smoking can also reduce your life by 13 to 14 years, on average, but it’s extremely addictive.
So, how do you quit?
1. Tell all your friends and family that you are quitting to get them on board. It will be easier for you if you have support from others. Remind them before you quit that you don’t want them to make jokes about it or smoke around you as you are serious about not smoking anymore.
2. Consider joining a support group to help you quit. If you find it hard to stay off the cigarettes on your own, a trained coach will help you and you can also meet others who are in the same situation as you. There are telephone helplines available if you are struggling out of hours.
3. If you want to have something in your hand, hold a pen or a stress ball. If you want to have something in your mouth, chew on gum or another food.
4. Don’t drink alcohol during the time you are trying to quit as this may make you want a cigarette.
5. Distract yourself. There are many public places where smoking is banned, such as shopping malls or the library. Spend as much time out as you can.
6. If you normally have a smoking routine and smoke at specific times, change your routine. For instance, you could listen to music instead of smoking, or even go and brush your teeth if you crave something in your mouth.
7. Socialize as much as you can with non-smoking friends. This should be easy as the majority of people don’t smoke.
8. If you normally smoke in the car (for example, if you have children at home) and you associate the car with smoking, you could take the bus or walk as a temporary measure until you no longer have any cravings.