|Serving Size||5 oz|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Lean beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, cut in 1-inch pieces||1 ¼ pound|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Large onion, thinly sliced||1|
|Water||1 ½ cup|
|Caraway seeds||¾ teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|White vinegar||¼ cup|
|Small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges||½|
|Gingersnaps, crushed||¼ cup|
- Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet. Remove meat and sauté onion in remaining oil until golden. Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add vinegar and sugar, and stir. Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and simmer for an added 45 minutes.
- Remove meat and cabbage, arrange on platter, and keep warm.
- Strain drippings from skillet and skim off fat. Add enough water to drippings to yield 1 cup of liquid.
- Return to skillet with crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture boils. Pour over meat and vegetables, and serve.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.