|Serving Size||1/8 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||38 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|
|Vitamin A||60% DV|
|Vitamin C||30% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Cauliflower, coarsely chopped||2 cups (the equivalent of about 2 small heads)|
|Zucchini, chopped||1½ cups (1-2 medium)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||3 cans (14.5 ounces each)|
|Diced tomatoes, drained||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Uncooked elbow macaroni or small pasta shells||1 cup|
|Kidney beans or black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed||3 cups|
|Sliced carrot||1 cup|
|Chopped onion||1 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Fresh, loosely packed basil leaves||1 cup|
- Directions for Minestrone
- In a 5-6 quart saucepan, bring ½ cup water to boil.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, onion, and carrots.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add zucchini, beans, broth, and pasta. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Directions for Pesto
- Put all pesto ingredients in food processor or blender and process until very finely chopped.
- Just before serving, remove soup from heat and stir in pesto.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 1; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Produce for Better Health
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.