Diana recalls when she had pink eye and describes the associated symptoms.
Hi, I am Diana and I experienced an issue with pink eye, so I went to see Dr. Gong and I’d like to share my experience with you.
When I first started experiencing pink eye symptoms I thought that I just had a little minor irritation. I wear gas permeable contact lenses so I thought something was underneath the lens, and when the symptoms persisted; when the irritation persisted I thought that this could be something bigger. Plus I teach in a very public classroom setting, which is loaded with germs and bacteria so I had an a-ha moment and thought, “Maybe this is pink eye?” So I went to see Dr. Gong and after talking to her about this persistent itch, this persistent burning, sensitivity to light, she determined that it was indeed pink eye, not just a minor contact lens problem and she prescribed some antibacterial and antibiotic medications for it.
I experienced symptoms for probably three to four days. It could have been longer than that because I tend to put things off a bit, and before I went to see Dr. Gong I called her about this, because like I said, I thought it was just an irritation with my gas permeable lenses, so when I saw Dr. Gong and she did a thorough examination and determined that it was pink eye, I started on the medication and I experienced almost immediate relief because pink eye is very irritating.
It causes a lot of itching and redness and the light sensitivity was very problematic to me, especially as the contact lens where it was impossible for me to wear my gas perms. So because the symptoms were so dramatic I experienced immediate relief, but you know, that is relative probably.
I was extremely worried about pink eye being contagious because it is highly contagious and we had to worry about making sure all of the surfaces in my home were clean, my hands had to be clean at all times and they usually are but this was even more critical that my hands were clean, that I disinfected all surfaces and of course, those habits had to transfer into my office and into my classroom because I did not want to infect my colleagues or students with this condition.