As I mentioned in my article: 5 Ways to Eat Your Way to the Fountain of Youth, we're all looking for ways to stay healthy and young.
Here we have six more foods that combat against aging.
1. Nuts. As long as you don’t eat too many because of the high calories, nuts contain nutrients and minerals such as protein, fiber, potassium, iron, zinc and magnesium. Nuts also contain high omega-3 fatty acids that are good for brain health and keeping skin moist. Only a handful a day will increase healthy results.
2. Blackberries, black currants and black grapes. These black fruits contain antioxidants that will protect the body against free radicals that causing aging. The flavonoids in darker berries are said to be the best for maintaining balance, coordination and short term memory.
3. Avocado. This little-noticed fruit is filled with monosaturated fat is said to combat levels of bad cholesterol. The potassium in avocados reduces fluid retention, high blood pressure, and the risk of stroke. The high level of vitamin E is an essential nutrient for aging skin and may also be help reduce hot flashes. Once again we find a fruit full of antioxidants. Let’s keep those organs and tissues young and healthy.
4. Canned Beans.The scientists found that while all canned beans contain antioxidants, small red beans have the highest levels. Don’t rule out black and dark red kidney beans as they are said to be rich in phytochemicals, a plant compound that protects your cells and repairs DNA damage.
5. Yogurt. Just 1 cup of low-fat plain yogurt provides enough riboflavin (a B vitamin) for boasting antioxidant activity in the body. Just another food source for combating free radicals and lowing the risk of heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.
6. Natural Sweeteners. Yes, natural sweeteners are a bit high in calories, but it’s worth it when you count the antioxidants in a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, buckwheat honey, or pure maple syrup. Stick with natural instead of refined sugars in baked good and you’ll be doing your body a favor.
Add these foods to your grocery list and you'll feel a spring in your step before you know it.