Who doesn’t want to live forever, or at least live to be a ripe old age, and tell stories of youth to her grandchildren and grandchildren’s children?
As I now stare down the barrel of turning 40 in less than a month, this quiz found on Lifescript online caught my eye. My own grandmother lived to be 98 and only really suffered senility the last three or so years of her life. She was able bodied, and still loved to sing, exercise, and eat ice cream right up until the end of her life. That’s what I want.
What does it take to live to be 80 years old? Here are some tips from the quiz to help increase the chances of getting there:
• Live where there’s decent air quality
• Get an education
• Learn to cope with stress and anxiety
• Don’t smoke
• Drink alcohol only in moderation
• Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy
• Exercise at least three times each week
• Schedule regular checkups with a doctor to screen for disease
• Always wear a seat belt when in a car
Do you have a question about Wellness? Check out EmpowHER’s pages. Sign-up, post a question, share your story, connect with other women in our groups and community, and feel EmpowHERed!
Christine Jeffries is a writer/editor for work and at heart, and lives in a home of testosterone with her husband and two sons. Christine is interested in women’s health and promoting strong women.