Triclosan has been in use as a chemical additive since the 1960s, as a way to kill bacteria.
It was seen as a good thing at the time but research has raised questions as to whether triclosan is actually a health hazard.
An Aug. 13, 2012 article on Smithsonianmag.com reported on a paper which found that triclosan affects humans, not just animals, in muscle function. It can cause problems with contraction of our muscles.
This research was carried out at the University of California, Davis, and was published on this date in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
According to the Smithsonian blog, triclosan has been seen in studies to disrupt certain animals' endocrine systems. It binds to receptor sites, causing abnormalities in the operation of thyroid hormone.
Triclosan's effects may be far-reaching, because according to the study's lead author Isaac Pessah, it's found in our homes and in our environment.
Research of human muscle cells in the heart and typical skeletal muscles indicated that communication between certain proteins was abnormal due to the presence of triclosan.
Co-author of the study Nipavan Chiamvimonvat cautioned that triclosan had a significant impact on heart function, acting as a cardiac depressant.
Triclosan could be dangerous for patients with some health conditions, worsening heart problems.
The FDA was cited as having said that triclosan in antibacterial soaps is no more beneficial than using soap without this chemical.
Study co-author Bruce Hammock said that the research results suggest that it's a good idea to cut back on the use of products containing triclosan.
The research team said that their findings indicate that the amount of triclosan we are regularly exposed to show that some of our muscle cells have a reduced ability to contract.
They recommended that the Environmental Protection Agency, the Food and Drug Administration, and other regulators, revisit the safety of triclosan.
An article on Rodale.com said that triclosan may disrupt function of the immune system in that it's killing off germs that would normally be building your child's immunity.