Q: 

How long should antibiotic-related intestinal side effects last once the medicine is done?

By March 11, 2009 - 2:53pm

Okay, I'll try to make this post as "non-TMI" as possible. I had my first-ever sinus infection a few weeks ago, and the PA at my doctor's office prescribed Omnicef for me for 10 days. It did a great job at knocking out the cooties and making me feel better, but it's also wreaked havoc on my intestinal system. About halfway into the 10 days I started getting diarrhea, sometimes as much as 8 times a day. Fun stuff, huh?

I figured the trots would improve when the Omnicef was done, but they kept going. About 5 days after finishing the Omnicef I asked the pharmacist how long I could expect the diarrhea side effects and she so obviously guessed when she said "oh I'm not sure, but I'd say about a week or so, I would think" Don't you love it when they make stuff up on the spot?

So now it's been 9 days since I've had my last Omnicef pill and I'm still having mild symptoms. Not "oh man, get me to the bathroom NOW" symptoms, but things just aren't 100% yet. I've bought some strong acidophilus and am taking it 3 times a day and am trying to eat more good-quality plain yogurt. TMI alert--there is just a lot of mucousy reddish brown stuff coming out and it's creeping me out. I read that Omnicef can cause reddish poos due to the way it interacts with iron in your diet, but would this still be the cause a week-plus after finishing the dose?

Does anyone know how long antibiotics essentially stay in your system, and how long I have to put up with this? It's getting better overall but it seems like this might be a medicine I want to avoid in the future. At what point do I call the doctor for a follow-up? thanks to everyone and I hope I didn't gross anyone out too badly.

Anonymous

You need to take real, high quality probiotics. Yogurt is not going to do it against antibiotics. Most probiotics in yogurt don’t make it to the shelf from the delivery truck. Raw 100 billion probiotics are the only ones that have helped me. Every doctor should really prescribe probiotics at the same time as antibiotics to avoid your gut being destroyed. There’s no point knocking out one infection to start another problem. Just don’t take them at the same time of day (ie. Take your probiotic in the morning and your antibiotic at night, or vice versa). I have taken antibiotics for years and just got my gut back to normal with all the probiotics I’ve been taking. Take probiotics all the time, not just when you are on antibiotics, to keep your gut flora up. Also, not everyone reacts well to acidophilus, so like I said try some from garden of life Raw brand probiotics- at least 100 billion. You can also add another one called mood probiotic (available on Amazon) by innivovix labs in a purple and yellow box, but that’s not enough on its own, only in addition to the 100 billion or other high dose probiotics. I double the dosage when I’m actually on antibiotics, but try to avoid taking antibiotics whenever possible. Also, just because a doctor says to take the antibiotic for 10 days (often way too long) does not mean it is necessary. I never take a full set. I take two days worth and let my body fight off the rest unless the infection just won’t go away, in which case I might need a different antibiotic as they should kick in pretty quickly after taking them and your body’s immune system should kick in after that to knock down the rest. Note: this is if you are taking the probiotics as I recommended so you are not also suffering from diarrhea and all the other issues prevented by them which would make it even harder for your system to fight what you have in the first place (see why pharmaceutical companies want you to stay on antibiotics?)

I had Bronchitis last month and was prescribed the 5 day dose of Z-Pak. When that didn’t work I was prescribed another 5 day dose of the Z-Pack. About 5 days after I finished the last pill of the second dose I began to feel horrible stomach symptoms. First, my stomach would hurt bad I would get hot flashes after every meal. Then about a week later I was very constipated and had severe stomach cramps. I went to the emergency room room and they did a CAT scan of my stomach and didn’t see anything so I was told to take a laxative for the constipation. Ever since the laxative, I’ve had loose stools. Not diarrhea, but not normal either. It’s now been 22 days since the last pill of the Z-Pak and I feel horrible. I can’t eat. If I do I’m immediately nauseous. The left side of my stomach hurts all the way around to the left side of my back. I’m extremely lightheaded. Whatever I eat seems to go right through me and doesn’t digest all the way. I ate salad last night and it came out this morning looking like.... Like salad! I am trying a different probiotic yogurt today and hopefully that helps. Has anyone ever had stomach problems almost a month after finishing an antibiotic?? Ugh

Anonymous (reply to TiffanysAngel777)

Hello. Yes to your question had anyone had stomach problems after an antibiotic. My daughter had an antibiotic for the first time in her life at the age of 6 for an ear infection and since she's had that antibiotic she has had stomach pain every, single, day! I can't believe it. I keep hoping and praying it will go away one day soon. Antibiotics are awful.

Anonymous

Just finished a prescription of Doxy Cyclone, for a cyst I had cleaned out. I have been feeling nausea and some vomiting since I stopped. Whenever I eat, I feel like I will puke. How long will this last? It's been 3 days now. I start feeling ill shortly after breakfast & then until I go to sleep at night. Then once I eat breakfast the next day, I feel it again. Help!

Anonymous

Was on two simultaneous antibiotics for six weeks. All food, most liquids caused nausea even with probiotics After completion 10 days, still unable to eat most foods, have lost 15 lbs, very exhausted, although cellulitis symptoms are gone. How long does this last?

Anonymous

I was on Penicillin for 7 days after having a tooth pulled. Finished taking the med about 2 weeks ago. Have had loose stools and diarrhea since taking the penicillin. They tell me this is normal with antibiotics. Feeling very tired and weak also and that isn't me! Hopefully, my system will return to normal. I was just given the penicillin as a safeguard against infection.

Anonymous

yeah when i had after affects digestively after antibiotics, i tried many ways to resolve it, but the quickest solution was a professionally self prepared enema lol. glad to know im not the only one who suffered after, i thought i was just weird since it didn't affect friends the same. so i guess the only other alternative i would of done otherwise to fix it is to up the fiber n water intake. preferrably a bulking fiber (take carefully and as prescribed)

Anonymous

I am going through the same pain. Over a month ago Dr gave me Cipro 500 mg for 3 days and then a one day 4 pills Azithromycin for a possible C-Diff.
Well the test came back negative both times but I started experiencing severe diarrhea. I have been on BRAT diet and added some chicken brest but still can't normalize my stomach. I have a sensitive stomach to begin. Also lost a lot of weight.

I have been taking probiotics in the last 2 weeks but still having issues with diarrhea. Exactly when I think it is finally over it keeps coming back.

Did any of you have bloating stomch or gas when taking probiotics?

I am currently taking Florastor.

Florastor takes 2 to 3 weeks to kick in. I've been on penicllin VK for 3months now from rheumatic fever I had back in March. I will be on antibiotics for 5 years. I eat a low residue diet similar to people with colitis/crohns disease. I stick to white breads/rice/pasta and chicken breast (never fried!), I can tolerate cooked carrots, apples (apple sauce) and potatoes all with no skin, and boiled eggs for extra protein. I only drink water and I chew my food very slowly and eat 6 small meals a day. The trick is to never be full so your stomach doesn't have too much to break down.

Anonymous

Had a deep cat bite on my finger that started swelling. The doctors in the ER gave me a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for a week of Amoxicillin-Clavulanate XR (Audmentin XR). Around the 2nd to the last day of the pills, started getting SEVERE diarrhea. A little over 2 weeks later, I'm finally getting back to normal -- it was so bad at times I wish they just cut the finger vs given me this poisonous antibiotic.

This is what didn't help:
Solgar Acidophilius
Nature's Bounty Probiotics (gas version and ultra strength version)
Malox (absolutely no effect)
Pepto-Bismal (slowed it slightly, but the gas was still bad)

This is what helped:
Laying down on your RIGHT side
Peppermint tea
Ginger cookies
Immodium A-D (completely stopped all symptoms, including gas but only for about 6-8 hours)

This is what finally stopped it:
Florastor (took 2-3x the recommended dose).

I can't praise Florastor enough!! After trying 3 failed probiotic products I was skeptical anything else would help. The 2nd day after taking this, I started feeling normal again (for the first time in weeks I didn't have to run to the bathroom after waking up). And on the 3rd day I no longer needed Immodium AD to get through work.

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide