Q: 

How long should antibiotic-related intestinal side effects last once the medicine is done?

By March 11, 2009 - 2:53pm

Okay, I'll try to make this post as "non-TMI" as possible. I had my first-ever sinus infection a few weeks ago, and the PA at my doctor's office prescribed Omnicef for me for 10 days. It did a great job at knocking out the cooties and making me feel better, but it's also wreaked havoc on my intestinal system. About halfway into the 10 days I started getting diarrhea, sometimes as much as 8 times a day. Fun stuff, huh?

I figured the trots would improve when the Omnicef was done, but they kept going. About 5 days after finishing the Omnicef I asked the pharmacist how long I could expect the diarrhea side effects and she so obviously guessed when she said "oh I'm not sure, but I'd say about a week or so, I would think" Don't you love it when they make stuff up on the spot?

So now it's been 9 days since I've had my last Omnicef pill and I'm still having mild symptoms. Not "oh man, get me to the bathroom NOW" symptoms, but things just aren't 100% yet. I've bought some strong acidophilus and am taking it 3 times a day and am trying to eat more good-quality plain yogurt. TMI alert--there is just a lot of mucousy reddish brown stuff coming out and it's creeping me out. I read that Omnicef can cause reddish poos due to the way it interacts with iron in your diet, but would this still be the cause a week-plus after finishing the dose?

Does anyone know how long antibiotics essentially stay in your system, and how long I have to put up with this? It's getting better overall but it seems like this might be a medicine I want to avoid in the future. At what point do I call the doctor for a follow-up? thanks to everyone and I hope I didn't gross anyone out too badly.

Anonymous

I took Augmentin for 2 days and landed up in hospital with vomiting, diarrhea, chronic pains in the abdomen, yellow skin, dehydration and could not eat and drink. then in addition I got Erythema. Very painful indeed. My body has been in so much pain and it hasn't stopped in 3 weeks.

Anonymous

I just finished taking clindamycin 300 mg 4x a day for 20 days. I had already been on amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day for 10 days, but I did 2 rounds of amoxicillin before the clindamycin all this in about a 2month period. I had several of the side effects from clindamycin but there are few that are hanging on diarrhea, nausea,NO appetite and one more I am extremely weak when I get up and walk around weakness has been going on since I started and a constant headache.

Its best to call your doctor. S/he can confirm if its C-Diff which is more serious or if prescribe medications to make your symptoms improve.

Anonymous

I just got done with a 'triple therapy' to treat an H. Pylori infection. It involved taking 4 horse pills, including 2 different antibiotics, twice a day for 14 days. There were several instances of 'GET ME TO THE RESTROOM NOW!' while I was taking the antibiotics. Very unpleasant. I've been off of them for about 2 days and the symptoms have mostly subsided, but I'm still having a bit of diarrhea. I plan on looking in to some good probiotics to assist.

Anonymous

These symptoms (for me) began 5 days' or so AFTER the antibiotic treatment was over. They lasted well over a month (about 6 weeks) – and here is what I did to get around them (and restore my gut flora).

* Probiotics
* Enzymes to help the liver
* Sauerkraut

agree - same here.....it will take time to get the system function again

Anonymous

I had a severe staph infection on my scalp that made the right side of my face swell. I started on Keflex because that usually the only antibiotic im not allergic to but two days into it my infection worsened. I was then put on clindamycin and stopped the Keflex. After three days of taking it four times a day i started getting diarrhea and cramping. It has been 8 days now and it seems to be slowing down i hope. My doctor said if it persits she wants a stool sample. Antibiotics can cause a gut bacteria that causes diarrhea, so to be on the safe side if your symptoms persit ask your doctor to test you for this gut bacteria. They should know what im talking about.

Google C.Diff colitis . Clindamycin can be really bad news if your gut flora isn't in good shape , a very harsh , toxic antibiotic that's usually only supposed to be given if others fail . It's used to treat sepsis , anthrax exposure . Most of the people that aren't complaining about horrible side effects ( diarrhea is only one of them ) took probiotics at the same time , ate *Greek* yogurt ( It's better than plain ) , drank kefir . C.Diff is a very hard to kill bacteria that takes over when the good bacteria is wiped out . Don't take my word for it , look it up . There's many user groups .

Anonymous

Hello Fellow Sufferers,
NOTHING TO EAT, EXCEPT
Remember BRAT
Bananas
Rice
Apple Sauce
T White Toast
Nothing else, period. Add chicken broth and tiny pieces of chicken. Very small portions.

I took clindamycin for a week over Labor Day weekend for a tooth infection and have had loose bowels and frequency ever since. Thanks goodness for this site as I thought I had cancer! I will go to my doctor.

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide