Q: 

How long should antibiotic-related intestinal side effects last once the medicine is done?

By March 11, 2009 - 2:53pm

Okay, I'll try to make this post as "non-TMI" as possible. I had my first-ever sinus infection a few weeks ago, and the PA at my doctor's office prescribed Omnicef for me for 10 days. It did a great job at knocking out the cooties and making me feel better, but it's also wreaked havoc on my intestinal system. About halfway into the 10 days I started getting diarrhea, sometimes as much as 8 times a day. Fun stuff, huh?

I figured the trots would improve when the Omnicef was done, but they kept going. About 5 days after finishing the Omnicef I asked the pharmacist how long I could expect the diarrhea side effects and she so obviously guessed when she said "oh I'm not sure, but I'd say about a week or so, I would think" Don't you love it when they make stuff up on the spot?

So now it's been 9 days since I've had my last Omnicef pill and I'm still having mild symptoms. Not "oh man, get me to the bathroom NOW" symptoms, but things just aren't 100% yet. I've bought some strong acidophilus and am taking it 3 times a day and am trying to eat more good-quality plain yogurt. TMI alert--there is just a lot of mucousy reddish brown stuff coming out and it's creeping me out. I read that Omnicef can cause reddish poos due to the way it interacts with iron in your diet, but would this still be the cause a week-plus after finishing the dose?

Does anyone know how long antibiotics essentially stay in your system, and how long I have to put up with this? It's getting better overall but it seems like this might be a medicine I want to avoid in the future. At what point do I call the doctor for a follow-up? thanks to everyone and I hope I didn't gross anyone out too badly.

Anonymous

Was on two simultaneous antibiotics for six weeks. All food, most liquids caused nausea even with probiotics After completion 10 days, still unable to eat most foods, have lost 15 lbs, very exhausted, although cellulitis symptoms are gone. How long does this last?

Anonymous

I was on Penicillin for 7 days after having a tooth pulled. Finished taking the med about 2 weeks ago. Have had loose stools and diarrhea since taking the penicillin. They tell me this is normal with antibiotics. Feeling very tired and weak also and that isn't me! Hopefully, my system will return to normal. I was just given the penicillin as a safeguard against infection.

Anonymous

yeah when i had after affects digestively after antibiotics, i tried many ways to resolve it, but the quickest solution was a professionally self prepared enema lol. glad to know im not the only one who suffered after, i thought i was just weird since it didn't affect friends the same. so i guess the only other alternative i would of done otherwise to fix it is to up the fiber n water intake. preferrably a bulking fiber (take carefully and as prescribed)

Anonymous

I am going through the same pain. Over a month ago Dr gave me Cipro 500 mg for 3 days and then a one day 4 pills Azithromycin for a possible C-Diff.
Well the test came back negative both times but I started experiencing severe diarrhea. I have been on BRAT diet and added some chicken brest but still can't normalize my stomach. I have a sensitive stomach to begin. Also lost a lot of weight.

I have been taking probiotics in the last 2 weeks but still having issues with diarrhea. Exactly when I think it is finally over it keeps coming back.

Did any of you have bloating stomch or gas when taking probiotics?

I am currently taking Florastor.

Florastor takes 2 to 3 weeks to kick in. I've been on penicllin VK for 3months now from rheumatic fever I had back in March. I will be on antibiotics for 5 years. I eat a low residue diet similar to people with colitis/crohns disease. I stick to white breads/rice/pasta and chicken breast (never fried!), I can tolerate cooked carrots, apples (apple sauce) and potatoes all with no skin, and boiled eggs for extra protein. I only drink water and I chew my food very slowly and eat 6 small meals a day. The trick is to never be full so your stomach doesn't have too much to break down.

Anonymous

Had a deep cat bite on my finger that started swelling. The doctors in the ER gave me a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for a week of Amoxicillin-Clavulanate XR (Audmentin XR). Around the 2nd to the last day of the pills, started getting SEVERE diarrhea. A little over 2 weeks later, I'm finally getting back to normal -- it was so bad at times I wish they just cut the finger vs given me this poisonous antibiotic.

This is what didn't help:
Solgar Acidophilius
Nature's Bounty Probiotics (gas version and ultra strength version)
Malox (absolutely no effect)
Pepto-Bismal (slowed it slightly, but the gas was still bad)

This is what helped:
Laying down on your RIGHT side
Peppermint tea
Ginger cookies
Immodium A-D (completely stopped all symptoms, including gas but only for about 6-8 hours)

This is what finally stopped it:
Florastor (took 2-3x the recommended dose).

I can't praise Florastor enough!! After trying 3 failed probiotic products I was skeptical anything else would help. The 2nd day after taking this, I started feeling normal again (for the first time in weeks I didn't have to run to the bathroom after waking up). And on the 3rd day I no longer needed Immodium AD to get through work.

Anonymous

I took Augmentin for 2 days and landed up in hospital with vomiting, diarrhea, chronic pains in the abdomen, yellow skin, dehydration and could not eat and drink. then in addition I got Erythema. Very painful indeed. My body has been in so much pain and it hasn't stopped in 3 weeks.

Last month I had a bad uti, was on antibiotics for 5 days, felt better, then had back procedure, had horruble pain in bladder, went back to the Dr, put me in another round of antibiotics, they did urine culture had bad e coli bacteria in uti so changed antibiotics, took most of them, still was not feeling good so they gave me another antibiotic. Have been off if antibiotics for abiut 3 weeks, tested me for h pylori it was inconclusive. Still have a stomach pain, running to bathroom, and sick to stomach. Haven't vomited for a couple of days but it's the other way. Not sure what to do, the Dr. said eat yiugart, jello, custard, no butter, I don't have a gakl bkadder. Had kidney stones in November really sick. I think I will try to get some probiitics and see if that helps. I can't take much more of this. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I just completed round of antibiotic treatment (triple therapy) for hpylori and have developed similar symptoms, a week after completing treatment. I am requesting that my dr test for c-difficile, as I contracted it in the past after completing several courses of antibiotics, including amoxicillin and metronazodole (while under the care of a physician). My case for so severe that I ended up being hospitalized, and quarantined as it is contagious. The symptoms you are describing are similar to those I experienced with c-diff. It was the worst experience of my life! To be safe, I recommend you request that you request to be tested. Best of luck!

Anonymous

I just finished taking clindamycin 300 mg 4x a day for 20 days. I had already been on amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day for 10 days, but I did 2 rounds of amoxicillin before the clindamycin all this in about a 2month period. I had several of the side effects from clindamycin but there are few that are hanging on diarrhea, nausea,NO appetite and one more I am extremely weak when I get up and walk around weakness has been going on since I started and a constant headache.

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide