Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

ask: How long should antibiotic-related intestinal side effects last once the medicine is done?

By Nancy Drew Fan

Okay, I'll try to make this post as "non-TMI" as possible. I had my first-ever sinus infection a few weeks ago, and the PA at my doctor's office prescribed Omnicef for me for 10 days. It did a great job at knocking out the cooties and making me feel better, but it's also wreaked havoc on my intestinal system. About halfway into the 10 days I started getting diarrhea, sometimes as much as 8 times a day. Fun stuff, huh?

I figured the trots would improve when the Omnicef was done, but they kept going. About 5 days after finishing the Omnicef I asked the pharmacist how long I could expect the diarrhea side effects and she so obviously guessed when she said "oh I'm not sure, but I'd say about a week or so, I would think" Don't you love it when they make stuff up on the spot?

So now it's been 9 days since I've had my last Omnicef pill and I'm still having mild symptoms. Not "oh man, get me to the bathroom NOW" symptoms, but things just aren't 100% yet. I've bought some strong acidophilus and am taking it 3 times a day and am trying to eat more good-quality plain yogurt. TMI alert--there is just a lot of mucousy reddish brown stuff coming out and it's creeping me out. I read that Omnicef can cause reddish poos due to the way it interacts with iron in your diet, but would this still be the cause a week-plus after finishing the dose?

Does anyone know how long antibiotics essentially stay in your system, and how long I have to put up with this? It's getting better overall but it seems like this might be a medicine I want to avoid in the future. At what point do I call the doctor for a follow-up? thanks to everyone and I hope I didn't gross anyone out too badly.

Anonymous

That happens to me every time I take any antibiotic plus just overall deathly sickness for the entire time. Last time, in regards to the diarrhea, I dehydrated myself. And to have 3 liters of fluid. I was placed on antibiotics last week, and today is my last miserable day, I hope. The nurse in the ER told me to buy pill or capsule probiotics and take one before every dose, which I have done. No diarrhea this time. My GI doctor said not to eat diary products because the intensifies the diarrhea. I am so intolerant of antibiotics I am just miserable every day.

Anonymous

I took Ciprodex 500 for 2.5 days (5 tabs in total) and had such a severe reaction I actually went to my local emergency. I was feeling terribly nauseated, noticed my heart rate slowing down (which was really scary), no energy and abdominal discomfort. I've never felt like that on antibiotics. The hospital ran general blood tests, an EKG and an x-ray, all which came up negative (which is good but begs the question if they were actually the right tests at all to determine if I experienced some form of reaction to the drug). I haven't taken the drug now for 5 days and am feeling pretty awful. Nauseated, dizzy, weird feeling in my throat and abdominal discomfort not to mention no energy to do anything but lie in bed. This drug is hazardous. Does anyone know how long it would take for the side effects to subside? Any other recommendations to speed the healing process?? Many thanks.

Anonymous

You could have antibiotic induced colitis. If so it will not clear up until you get a different medication to treat that. If you are having to use the bathroom many times per day you need to see a doctor.

Anonymous

The only thing that has really helped is ' time '..... I was the one who suggested ginger cookies, and they helped, but as time goes on it does improve but I've started eating a yogurt daily to get the probiotics (the good gut stuff that kills off the bad in your stomach ). It really helps with the odd bouts of nausea that I still feel now and then, but my stomach is just about back to normal. I used Activia yogurt , I think it works !!! You can also get probiotic tablets if you don't like yogurt, but I'm not sure they did as much good. Hope you get to feeling better. I also realized I'm under a lot of stress too, so I'm probably not helping myself to get better quickly.

Hi to the person re:ginger cookies. Are u able to say how much 'time'? I'm experiencing the same hardship from antibiotics.

Anonymous

Applying castor oil on the tummy( externally) can cure you completely of this problem.

Please do note: apply externally only.
Good Luck
Sonali Patel

Anonymous

Try eating ginger biscuits/cookies. Ginger is a stomach calmer/healer and was very big in England. They helped my nausea and diarreah a lot !

Anonymous

i was taking cipro and flagly for ibs colitis how long does it take to get the drugs out of my system they make me feel sick and can not sleep well at all few hours a ady most

I read your comment about Cipro. I just finished the last of a Cipro prescription last night and this morning I am so nauseated. And I have not had a good night's sleep the whole time I took it. How long did it take for your nausea and other symptoms to go away after you were done with the mediation? Thanks sooo much cause I never am nauseated or vomit and this is really miserable.

Hi, I just wondered if your nausea/vomiting has gone away yet? I started reacting to Cipro on Sunday night after taking it for 5 days and I was told to stop the tablets. Since then I have just got worse, I feel nauseated all of the time, and I am sick every morning when i wake up. I also have this burning pain across the top of my back and shoulders and have absolutely no energy. Today is day 4 after stopping Cipro and I just seem to be getting worse. I am hoping you will tell me your nausea has now improved and give me some hope! I hope you feel better very soon.

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: