It is believed the decrease in breast cancer deaths is due to earlier detection through breast self-exams and mammograms, increased awareness and treatment advances.
The following are important breast cancer facts and breast cancer statistics. The breast cancer statistics were compiled from the following organizations: Breastcancer.org, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, The Breast Cancer Society, Centers for Disease Control, and the American Cancer Society.
The breast cancer statistics are only related to the United States. Breast cancer facts:
• Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer deaths among women of all races and Hispanic origin populations
• One in eight women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime
• Aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women
• One in four cancers in women (about 28 percent) are breast cancer
• Less than 1 percent of all new breast cancer cases occur