I received this list in the information packet on cancer given by a friend. Some of these are obvious, but others are not so much.
It must be very difficult to find the right words to say…you know how I am and I don’t usually get offended. However; you may find some of the information below helpful.
Things you DON’T want to say to someone with cancer.
1) What is your prognosis?
2) Are you in remission?
3) How is your disease progressing?
4) Did you know that so and so succumbed to cancer?
6) How arrrrrre you?
7) Are you cured?
8) When do you have to see the doctor again?
9) You know what you should do? (giving advice on anything)
10) It’s for the best
11) You’re so lucky
12) I know a friend who went right on with everything she was doing and this was over in no time
13) You are so tough
14) Are you a cancer victim?
15) I just know how you feel
16) Just pray for a miracle
17) You are going to be just fine
18) You even lost your eyebrows and eyelashes
19) After chemo, “I’ll bet you will be just like new in a few days
20) You will have so much fun picking out wigs!
21) Wow, you are on Taxol (or any other chemo/medication) that’s bad stuff.
22) Just be strong and have a positive attitude
23) I’ll bet this has brought you and your family alot closer
24) Do’t do that. It will wear you out.
25) No one knows how long we have. I could walk in front of a car tomorrow and get killed.