Experts who study tragedies believe survivors who overcome improbable circumstances have a Survivor Mindset. It may look like luck but, upon closer examination, survival was due to an intense determination to overcome insurmountable obstacles despite facing life-threatening dangers.
Most of us will, at some point, face a situation in which life or death will be determined by how we respond to the crisis.
Exploring the subject for years, I’ve created my own list of must-read survivor books. The top five are essential to anyone who wishes to improve their odds of survival.
1. The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness by Jerome Groopman M.D., oncologist/ Harvard Medical School physician, explores the undeniable biological implications of hope.
2. The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler teaches us to overcome anger, anxiety, and depression in order to find inner peace while facing life’s struggles.
3. The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life by Ben Sherwood examines the nature of survival exploring survival “miracles” of those who beat incredible odds, from the Holocaust to a helicopter crash.
4. Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind/Body Medicine by Deepak Chopra M.D. integrates Western medicine and Ayurvedic healing in deep immersion mind/body/spirit work meant to harness the power of the mind and heal the body from within.
5. A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle creates pathways to living in the present by reducing the burdens of regret and the worries about the future. Tolle’s lesson: one can achieve peaceful clarity and bring an end to suffering.
With knowledge and tools, you might be able to create your own miracle when the situation demands it.
Who knows . . . it could change your luck.