Facebook Pixel

can I get pregnant

By October 27, 2011 - 12:16pm
Rate This

A year and a half ago I had an HSG test done, which said that my fallopian tubes were blocked. When I went back to my gynecologist she told me I should not even have a period, but I do and it is on time every month. I really don't understand what my options are. Should I go to another gynecologist?, Is there even the possibility that I will ever become pregnant?, and what are my options?

Add a Comment2 Comments


A blockage of the fallopian tubes is one of the most common causes of infertility. It accounts for about one third of cases in women. However, determining the best way to treat it is a complex problem without a single, clear answer.

The blockage may have come from scar tissue caused by a pelvic infection, endometriosis, or pelvic surgery. The blockage can occur at
the end of the tube, near where it is connected to the uterus, at the end of the tube near the ovary or in severe cases, the entire fallopian tube is blocked.

Without knowing the specifics of your situation, I can give you general information. Surgically unblocking the fallopian tubes, if successful, allows a couple can proceed with all future attempts at pregnancy without medical intervention.

With in vitro fertilization (IVF) is used, medical procedures are required every cycle to retrieve the egg and implant the embryo.
Both procedures allow infertile couples the chance to conceive. However, no studies adequately compare the treatments because there are so many factors to consider. For example, the location of the blockage, the severity of blockage, the presence of other factors affecting the couple's fertility, the technique used for surgery, and maternal age.

You should consult a fertility expert to assess your situation. In general, most infertility experts recommend surgery to unblock tubes over IVF in younger women who have tubal blockage at the distal end of the tube and in whom tubal damage is less severe.

This information is from Joan Bengtson, M.D.
Assistant professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Harvard Medical School
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproduction, Brigham and Women's Hospital

Wishing you the best,

October 27, 2011 - 3:51pm
EmpowHER Guest

Hi gheatwole0001,

Welcome to EmpowHER and thanks for your question. Surgery is one of the ways to correct this common cause of infertility and usually have good success rates. If you are not comfortable with your current doctor, It might be good to get a second opinion. Here is a link that might help.

Best of lucks,

October 27, 2011 - 3:41pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.