Facebook Pixel


By March 30, 2011 - 5:10am
Rate This

I have suffered from clinical depression in the past. Actually, for most of my life. However, I have a job that I really like now and things are so-so at home, so i shouldn't get so down. I am doing fine and then all of a sudden i can't get out of the bed. I have not been on any anti-depressants for some time. Loss of insurance for more than 2 years will do that. But now, I want to start them again I think, but I don't want to be all groggy and stuff. Any suggestions for when I see my doctor. I like to do research before I suggest anything to him.

Add a Comment5 Comments

Hi Marcymiller83,
Thanks for your question and for joining EmpowHER. Is this the same doctor who has treated you in the past? If so, then they would be familiar with what worked for you in the past, and how to assess what treatment may work best for you. You also are a good gage here too. You should know what has worked for you in the past when you have had bouts with depression. It's not unheard of to try the tried-and-true treatment first. Do you know what your triggers are? It also would help to avoid those things. Make sure to get loads of rest, exercise, eat healthy, avoid alcohol and caffeine, drink enough water, and ask for help where you need it. Those are my tried and true things that help.
Here is the EmpowHER Depression page that also may have some articles that may help you advocate for your health:
Depression Treatments
It is good you are attacking this head on--being self-aware is huge. That will help you get over your depression faster, I think.
Good luck and let us know if you need any more information or to "talk". Let us know how you're doing.

March 30, 2011 - 6:28am
(reply to Christine Jeffries)

i can't do nothing right ,thats what my boyfriend says ,becouse i have sex problems i don't like having sex with hem any more i have no felling for hem and i don't have felling down thare i don;t know wthat to do any more ,all i do is cry becouse it hearts me ...

April 20, 2011 - 9:07am
(reply to marysmith)

Hi Marysmith,
When you say it hurts you, do you know why it hurts? Where does it hurt? Have you been to see a doctor about these symptoms? It may be a good idea to get checked out and see if there is a medical reason why you are having problems with sex. As far as that boyfriend telling you "you can't do anything right." That is a whole other issue. A true partner should be supportive and not be demeaning. You don't have to put up with him being that way toward you. He is your boyfriend, not your husband. In a dating situation, you can choose to not be with him anymore. If you were married, you could also choose to not be with him, but it often is more difficult to separate as children or assets like a house or cars, etc. may be involved. If you feel threatened by your boyfriend, you can also talk with your doctor about that. There are resources all over for getting past toxic relationships. Good luck, and let us know if you need more information.
Take care.

April 21, 2011 - 9:00am
(reply to Christine Jeffries)

We been together14 years we had one kids .but my 2 girls ware tuck away in 2008 by cps becouse of 2 of !friends that he had staying in the house with use it was me my boyfriend my 4 kids and my grandson we had to move ,now its just me and my boyfriend and my 20 year old son that has adha .my biyfriend calls hem bad name like my dad did to me wen i was a kid .he sad that i would never be nothing ,all i have done is had 4kids and had a job for one week ,i cant work.i dont know what to do any more i have no money and no ware to go ...........

April 21, 2011 - 10:19am
(reply to marysmith)

Your boyfriend sounds abusive to your son, and I assume he may also be abusive (at least emotionally and mentally) to you as well.

You have many options available to you, and we are more than happy to help you find resources.

If you would like us to help you find a safe place to live, so that you can leave your unhealthy relationship with your son, and also find help and guidance on your future steps, please provide your zipcode (assuming you live in the U.S.) by one of two ways:
1. Reply on this public discussion thread with your zipcode
2. Reply to either Christine or Alison (just click on our names)

You can also advocate for yourself, and call a local shelter in your area. There is no obligation when you call; you can just talk with someone who is understanding and trained to help women who are in unhealthy relationships who feel there is no way out....they can provide you with information and resources (and a safe place to stay with your son if you need it).

Please call a shelter today, or let us know your general location and we can help you find resources. You DO have a place to go, and you DO have options!

April 21, 2011 - 11:01am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Depression Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!