Facebook Pixel

Do you know of a good NYC breast specialist?

By July 3, 2009 - 2:51pm
Rate This

We have an EmpowHer reader who would like to find a doctor in NYC to take a look at a lump in her breast. She has had previous breast surgery but had a bad experience, but this new lump concerns her.

Here's her story:


If you know of a good breast cancer doctor or breast specialist that you would recommend in NYC, please let us know. You can either add it here, add it to her thread, or click on my name (in orange by my photograph) and send it to me privately.

Thanks so much! EmpowHer readers never let us down!

Add a Comment8 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Anon - We are not able to provide you with the name of a specific doctor. You can locate physicians from Cornell or Beth Israel through their web sites:

Cornell: http://www.weillcornell.org/
Beth Israel: http://www.wehealny.org/referral/referral_search.aspx

You may also find the following Web, MD article on how to choose a breast cancer doctor or specialist helpful:

Best wishes to you in finding your provider. Pat

February 1, 2010 - 5:52pm
EmpowHER Guest

I do not need a referral w/my insurance - which is taken by most NYC hospitals - I am initerest in someone from cornell or beth israel

January 31, 2010 - 12:29pm
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Anon, I would then suggest you look at New York Presbyterian.


January 26, 2010 - 10:02pm
EmpowHER Guest

I just don't like Sloan Kettering - I did call them-My insurance is bc/bs and of course will pay- i need a biopsy= I will not know if I have cancer until it is done- my plan does not require referrals

January 26, 2010 - 8:28pm
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Anon - Are you covered by an insurance plan? Most plans will require a referral from your primary care physician for a visit to a specialist and for the biopsy. Some plans also require prior authorization and will not pay for the visit or treatment without it. You may want to contact your primary care doctor and ask for a referral to a female oncologist who specializes in breast cancer and has privileges at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. You can find information about their physicians at this link: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/3151.cfm

I would also make sure the hospital is a provider on your health plan. If not, and you would like additional information, just let us know.

Take care, Pat

January 26, 2010 - 6:01pm
EmpowHER Guest

I am in need of biospy - it was suggested that I see a breast specialist not a radiologist - I am interested in female in NYC

January 26, 2010 - 11:09am
(reply to Anonymous)

Were you able to review the link above, as this was a recommendation for NYC and they have a varied staff of specialists in all areas, including the breast.

January 26, 2010 - 1:24pm

Thanks for asking Diane. We asked Lillie Shockney, Director of the Johns Hopkins Breast Center for her recommendation based on the previously posed question and here's what she had to say ...

"She needs a breast radiologist to do a diagnostic work up. ADH isn't dormant cancer either. All it is are some abnormal cells -- not even precancer. I'd go to MSK personally and have it done in their breast imaging center. All of their team is good."

And here's the link to MSK.

July 8, 2009 - 10:16am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Breast Cancer

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Breast Cancer Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!