Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Had full Hystrectomy 6 years ago and for past year have been getting uti's could my bladder have dropped?

By Anonymous February 9, 2016 - 9:15am
Rate This

I had a full Hysterectomy about 6 years ago and for the past year I've been getting alot of uti's, could my bladder have dropped?

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Welcome to EmpowHER. Thank you for asking if there is a correlation between UTIs and bladder prolapse.

When the supportive pelvic floor muscles and tissue are stretched and/or become weak, the bladder can drop and bulge through this layer and into the vagina. This results in bladder prolapse, also called cystocele. In severe cases, the prolapsed bladder can appear at the opening of the vagina. Sometimes it can even protrude (drop) through the vaginal opening.

Frequent urinary tract infections are one symptoms of a bladder prolapse.

This article"Cystocele: Bladder Prolapsed or Fallen Bladder" provides a more indepth look at the condition and treatment options.

Anonymous, confirming the diagnosis is a good first step. Prolapse can be found with a clinical history and a pelvic exam. Your physician can determine the extent of the prolapse and recommend appropriate treatment. Correcting the underlying problem can eliminate recurring UTIs.

Keep us updated,

February 9, 2016 - 9:41am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.