Q: 

Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By November 20, 2009 - 12:35pm

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

Its 5.40 AM and I was searching the web about this back pain im having. Thats how i got here. I took the flushot here in Australia 4 days ago, the pain started yesterday. Hopefully this pain gonna enf soon, its terrible.

Anonymous

I posted December 15 re:back pain due to flu shot. I went to a ortho unit at my local hospital and had a MRI done Doctor reviewed test and stated my back looked normal for a 66 yr. old male. Bulging disc in L3 was only abnormality with possible spinal stenosis. Stared a steroid pac on 12/26 and scheduled a steroid injection for 12/28. Also began a PT program focusing on core and posture. Pain began to subside on the 30th and I am now almost back to normal. Every medical professional said the flu shot had nothing to do with the issue. I remain convinced that the flu shot triggered the back pain, too many anecdotes out there regarding the problem .

I recently got a flu shot and my back is killing me. I'm an avid hiker and hike 4 to 5 miles a day, longer on weekends. I can't even walk a mile without having to turn around and go home. The pain is absolutely horrible. The flu shot is the only thing I've done different. Never again

Anonymous

Jan 1st I decided to clean up my act. Went off sugar, caffeine, alcohol (not that I drank that much), wheat and dairy. I went to get a B-12 shot and decided to get a flu shot while I was there. Boy was that a mistake. I experienced the same horrendous low back pain a few days later. Had me in tears. I went to the chiro who made the connection to the flu shot. The coffee headache was gone in a few days. The back pain has not gone away! The other night it was so bad I almost called 911. I'm athletic and in good shape and never have pain in my low back and never had any pain like this. Yesterday I went to the acupuncturist who treated me to help my body process the poisons of the flu shot. She said the back pain comes from a neurological reaction to the shot. It contains metals like aluminum which everyone's body doesn't tolerate. The acupuncture treatment helped. She also recommended soaking in epsom, sea salts and baking powder. Today I'm better. Not 100%, but able to sit. I recommend getting strong needles and drinking lots of herb tea and water to flush it out. Never again! BTW Kaiser (where I got the shot) wanted me to come in but totally poo poo'ed the idea that this had anything to do with the shot. I went alternative medicine instead since I didn't think I would get anywhere and there isn't much western medicine could do. Felt horrible! (Female, 56)

Omg, i got the flu on january 11, 2018. As i walked out of Kaiser i felt thevurus, bug whatever it was literally crawling theough my system.

I felt a low grade fever for 4 days aches pain etc. then my lower back started hurting out of tgeblue. Like you never any back at all. Now, i have back pain. Its constant. Ive been stretching, heating up myback with microwave warmie.

I used spmething called the Ma Roller. Finally i am feeling a little better. I have a feeling this will take a good year to recover.

Avoid the flu shot & read the side affects of a flu shot.

Just to clarify--the same low back pain as described here!

Anonymous

I posted my experience previously (12-10-2017), but after more extensive online research, I believe myself and many others who have posted here, or people reading this now, may have suffered from what is called "Guillain-Barre Syndrome" (GBS). Please do a google search on this term for more useful information and to see if you may have GBS. Since the condition is rather rare, doctors may be inclined to dismiss it, or misdiagnose, and then under-estimate a patients' pain and symptoms. So being informed about this condition may be beneficial and relevant to your well being. Best of luck to you all!

Anonymous

I received the flu shot on Thursday 12.7.17, I am a masters swimmer, weight lifter and avid skier, and am 66 years old, Rarley ever sick. On Saturday 12.9.17 I drove to 2 hours to an event and the pain in my low back started. I could barely stand at the event and drove 2 hours home. Low back pain has essentially disabled me. I had a massage on Tuesday, and got some relief but the next day it came back. It is now 12.15.17 8 days later and I am still in intense pain. Cannot bend over or sleep comfortably. I never had a flu shot before and will not ever have one again , hopefully it resolves itself.

Anonymous

Got the flu shot on Friday, 12/8/2017, at noon. At 7 PM the same day, I started feeling some back discomfort. Its been getting progressively worse each day. Its now Sunday PM, 12/10/2017. Feeling weakness in the legs and spasms now. I have had problems with a herniated disc before, and this feels pretty much the same. I believe the vaccine is causing the swelling in the lower back in the spinal cord. Not good. Luckily, I have Naproxen and muscle relaxants from my previous back issues. If your back spasms become "severe", get ahold of some good muscle relaxants and take MORE THAN the recommended dosage (if the label says 1 pill, then take 2, and go from there). Trust me, its the only thing that will keep the back spasms at bay and allow you sleep or rest. Stop taking the relaxants AS SOON AS YOU FEEL YOU CAN TOLERATE THE PAIN. Muscle relaxants can create other problems, but personally, I feel like a back spasm takes priority. I'll worry about the side effects later. Relief from a herniated disc should come after 4 or 5 days of rest. Ice packs directly on the area will also help the swelling and pain. Hope this helps others out there suffering. Best of luck.

Please be sure to report to the cdc so they can learn how pervasive this is. I had the flu shot on Oct 23 and 5 days later awoke with severe lower back pain. I tried heat and ibuprofen for two days before going to an urgent care clinic. I told them I am in perfect health, take no meds and practice yoga. This pain came on in the middle of the night and is barely touched by anti inflammatory drugs. They ran CT scans, blood work and urinalysis and all results were negative. They gave me an injection of anti inflammatory drug and pills to take home. That was 11 days ago. I still can’t sleep through the night, and even taking anti inflammatories my pain stays between a 3 (during day) and 7 or 8 (at night and early morning).
Now they are thinking of trying muscle relaxers or steroids. I wish someone knew how to treat this!
Thanks to all for posting. This thread has helped my healthcare provider validate that my symptoms are from the flu shot.

Low Back Pain