Q: 

Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By March 3, 2009 - 11:15am

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

I’ve been on the Wiley protocol for 15 years. I’m 63 and in very good health. I have met TS Wiley several times, and while I agree that she is a challenging person, I can’t say enough about how great this protocol is. My clarity of mind, energy, sleep, sex life, mood, joint health, skin, hair, and bone health are all pretty fabulous, and I think this is largely at cause. My doctors and I have had to adjust it several times over time, and who knows how long one can be on it, but regular testing (blood and ultrasound) continue to show good results. I would nonetheless caution people going into it to expect a high degree of maintenance and alertness, and to allow several months for any changes in it or other health events/actions to evidence themselves. Also, there’s a lot of spin in both directions about it—it is still experimental in many ways, after all—so do your research. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Anonymous

I would like to share my experience that I had with T.S. Wiley. First of all, she is not a healthcare professional of any type. Second of all, her interaction with those of us who are, leaves a lot to be desired. She is neither interested in learning or being educated on hormonal therapies, or the reality of what her so called "protocol" could mean to certain patients, in the terms of the protocol not being covered by insurance and totally out of pocket to the patient, side effects down the line, or ease of therapy for the provider and patient, as many patients have complained about the constant changes in dosages they have had to make. Trying to talk with T.S. Wiley is like doing a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Her ignorance of clinical pharmacists is profound, thinking all we know is how to mix a few things together and slap it in her special little vaginal syringes. Never mind that she wants pharmacies to render free goods at her whim for those who cannot afford this (what criteria decides this is not known) and she wants protected patient information made known to her on demand. Furthermore, many pharmacies have signed this contract, which is illegal, as your patient information is PROTECTED BY HIPAA LAW. Since T.S. Wiley and her associates are NOT part of your active patient care, she is not entitled to know anything about patient information.
If you are thinking about trying the T.S. Wiley Protocol, remember that you will have a period. When I talked to Wiley about this, she was quite proud that she had a woman 90 years of age who still had a period. She really couldn't answer me when I asked her what the purpose of this was, but she was quite adamant that it was "natural". What is also quite natural Ms. Wiley, is that a woman this age having a period is in danger of anemia, and also if the hormones aren't meticulously balanced, stroke and heart attack.
I urge everyone to think again. I am not saying that you shouldn't gave BHRT during menopause, but be cautious, and ask questions, not just of your physician, but also other health care clinicians in this field. You could be heading for disaster.

Anonymous

I've been on the WIley Protocol -2 for estrogen and standard progesterone for about three months. I get sort of mini-periods - two days, max. I felt wonderful when I first started, but now even on my high estrogen days I feel like it just isn't having an effect. My waist is thickening unattractively and I don't have very good energy. My skin is also going downhill and my sleep is barely OK. My doctor increased the estradiol dosage by one line, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? The estradiol working at first, and then the effect radically diminishing? What did you do?

Thanks,
Gail

Most likely your Estrogen is still too low for you to feel normal. I'm 51. I have been on Wiley for about 8 months. Once blood testing indicated that levels were not within WILEY RECOMMENDED RANGES, each month I gradually increased Wiley estrogen to the max + dosage on the packet and now during my low estrogen days I still feel good. I take the highest + dose of Progesterone as well. I take Wiley (for women) testosterone +2. Also it helped overall well being and to ease application, to divide the dosages to 3 time a day, 7am, 3pm & 11pm, or whatever evenly divided times work for your schedule. As far as application site goes, lower inner thighs are a must for good absorption in my experience. T is applied in an exact bikini zone area indicated in the directions.
Also it really helped me to set alarms on my phone so I wouldn't forget to apply. Another tip, once you figure out the dosages for 3x a day application, if you have a good calendar app for your phone, you can add the dosages for each day. Once you have added Day 1 through day 28. It's easy to auto add future months, as that info is saved. This makes it quick to check and apply. Well being, energy, weight around the waist, have all improved greatly! I started Wiley after trying regular bio-identical hormone replacement for almost a year. No matter how hard I worked to stay fit, along with eating a very healthy diet, plus supplements, I was getting a belly, I felt weak during workouts, hair was thinning some, the bloating was terrible. Wiley is more exact and balanced, and more natural, cyclical! I am so thankful for Wiley. Now I don't have to feel or look old. Unexpected bonus - hair is looking good again, and it's thicker than ever.

Hi Gail, I started the Wiley at age 60. I had to go up to E5 to feel good, but then I gained weight in my middle. I found out that I had adrenal fatigue, so i started taking supplements for that, and also raise my thyroid medicine. When estrogen goes up, thyroid goes down. Things are starting to click now. The older you are, the more depleted you are and the longer it takes to figure and balance everything. It has taken like 4 years to get to this point. I was on static Bioidentical hormones before and ended up with a fibroid which forced me into a hysterectomy. So what ever form you do on bioidentical hormones, be sure to get blood test done at least 1 time a year to see if you are in estrogen dominance. When I was on static hormones, my sex hormones were never tested which resulted in a fibroid.

Anonymous

I’ve been on Standard Wiley dose for 12 years. Before going on it, I had terrible hot flashes and felt tired. I would get up in the morning and hobble out of bed, - felt like I was getting fibromyalgia.
I read Wiley’s book first, - made sense to me. Then I started using is and have never looked back.
This summer I tried going on 1/2 dose but found my aches and pains returned. I’m on Wiley for life, - I just feel so much better overall.

(reply to Anonymous)

Could anyone recommend a doctor that could help me get on the Wiley protocol.

Hi Ms. Anonymous, who has been using WIley for 12 years. Would you be willing to speak with me for a few minutes? My doctor is really not very knowledgeable about this. I have been on it for three months and have some questions. Would love to speak with someone who has firsthand experience. If you would let me know how to reach you, or call me to 310 889 9991 i would greatly appreciate it. Gail

Anonymous

I have had an encounter with T.S.Wiley herself. I came away with the understanding that she is ignorant about what certain clinicians know and do and how they interact, as well as refuses to listen to someone educated in the medical field about why women in their 80's and 90's don't need to have periods. Instead of having a productive discussion about menopause, she made it into a defensive arguement, and refused to even listen to evidence-based theories that I and my collegues were presenting on the call. Also, please clinicians, READ THE ENTIRE CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING! She is asking you to break confidentiality laws by giving her feedback on your patients, as well as giving her free consultations / products for those of you who are compounding her products.

You and your colleagues can ... in the words of my generation X... lol ... shove it. Theresa Wiley is a genius ... this protocol and the science (and plain common sense) behind it is undeniable. 8 months and loving it!

Community

Can't Find Something?

Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines