Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have a male, 60 yr old friend who has a severe scyzefrenic disorder. He lives with his 90 yr old mother. how do we get him to go to the hospital?

By Anonymous October 6, 2012 - 4:06pm
Rate This

My friend screams, curses, and at times, seems threatening towards us. He talks to people that don't exists. He claims to have albino snakes in his closet. All the neighbors within a 2 block radius can hear him cussing, screaming at the top of his lungs, and it's scary to hear all that. He has some medical issues also. Iv'e noticed is over-weight, has severe swelling of feet and legs to the point of using a bucket to urinate in. His mom feels at the ends of her rope and cries to me about him. She's 90. How can we get him help without getting hurt?

Add a Comment1 Comments

Hi Anon,

Unfortunately, you may have to have him invountarily held in a psychiatric facility if he continues with the irrational behavior. You can really only do this if your friend becomes a threat to himself or to others. It's not the ideal way of getting help for someone but sometimes it is the only way. You can try to talk to him first and tell him that he will feel better once he is on meds.

Good luck,


October 8, 2012 - 6:38am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Schizophrenia Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!