Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have wet macular degenerations in one eye

By Anonymous October 29, 2020 - 8:59am
Rate This

My doctor has referred me to an eye specialist in Houston, TX.
The injections for treatment are very expensive for this procedure at about 3500. per injection. My medicare only pays for 80% and that leaves me with about 450/injection.
I will need assistance to take the treatment. How do I find out if I am eligible?
You may find it interesting that I am the third generation female in my family to have this eye issue. So far no males have been effected by it.
My doctor is Dr. Rosa Kim at the "Retinal Consultants Houston". Her number is713 523 3434

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing! 

I'm sorry you are going through this and it is indeed interesting that it only affects the females in your family. 

The cost for your treatment is shocking but not surprising. Health care is ridiculously expensive. 

Some people on Medicare can also qualify for Medicaid. It's called "dual eligibility" . You will need to call Medicaid in your state to know more. 

You can also call the 1800 number provided by the manufacturer of the injection to see if they will offer financial aid. Many do. 

Please let us know how you get on. 



October 29, 2020 - 3:17pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Eyes & Vision

Get Email Updates

Eyes & Vision Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!