Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I wake up with pain under my left arm pit

By Anonymous December 3, 2010 - 10:19am
Rate This

A few months ago i started taking medication for my thyroid condition (I have hypothyroid). I dont know if it is related, but it was only a few months after that I wake up with the feeling of pain under my left arm pit. I feel that my left breast has slightly grown bigger. I have been done three ultrasounds which confirmt that it is only a matter of tissues but they are benign. I am just curious why i still this one small area under my armpit that is painful when you touch it. The rest of the breast seems fine to me. Any advice what i could do?

Add a Comment4 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi roubs - Please review the information in the links first as this will help you better understand if this is a possibility, how IBC is diagnosed and treated, and so forth. If you then believe that you could have this condition you would need to see a breast cancer specialist (oncologist) with experience in treating IBC. If you are not able to locate such a specialist immediately then the IBC Foundation (first link) should be able to assist you. Again, please review the information carefully. While you should check this out, IBC is a very rare condition so please keep that in mind.
Good luck and keep in touch.

December 3, 2010 - 5:42pm
(reply to Pat Elliott)

thanks a million...will do...

December 3, 2010 - 5:46pm
HERWriter Guide

Anon - Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHER. You mentioned that your breast has grown, and you have pain under the arm pit, which could be due to an enlarged lymph node. There could many causes for this. I don't want to alarm you, but one condition you may want to consider is Inflammatory Breast Cancer or IBC which is not found by mammogram or ultrasound. Please review the links I'm going to provide to see if you have IBC symptoms. If not, then you are at least aware of this type of breast cancer for the future. In any case, as long as you continue to have pain, and especially if it worsens, you should seek professional medical advice to determine the cause. Please keep in touch and let me know if we can assist you further.
Take care,




December 3, 2010 - 4:46pm
(reply to Pat Elliott)

thanks a lot for your quick and very helpful feedback. I am not sure if you are based in the US or in Canada, but do you suggest that i seek a general doctor and ask for another examination, and in this case should i specifically mention that i have reason to believe that those may be symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer. What kind of test/examination should i ask for? Do i need to be referred to a gynecologist?

December 3, 2010 - 5:28pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Hypoparathyroidism Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!