Q: 

My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Anonymous

I took the morning after pill for the first time on May 7th after our condom split. It was 1 day after my period stopped so I wasn't too worried, however I am now 16 days late but pregnancy tests have been negative. Does anyone know what's going on?

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, dizziness, breast pain, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Some women can bleed a little or quite extensively after taking emergency contraception.
The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. We cannot predict this for our readers in terms of length of delays. Each woman is different. Periods should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

My next cycle is due is 7 days, can the morning after pill cause me to completely miss a cycle?

Anonymous

Well Ive taken plan B twice before and had good results with it always getting my peirod on time or a day later. The typical symptoms were pretty apparent the first time I took the pill, (nasua, sore breasts, fatigue) and I had spotting right before my peiord each time which of course freaked me out but my period always came shortly after.
This time I decided to go with the take action Pill because it was the exact same thing just cheaper. I had unprotected sex with my monogamous boyfriend of 6 years. It was a spur of the moment thing where I had just got back from a trip. I looked to my period tracker to see where I was in my cycle and It was the day before my ovulation week so we got in the car and I took the pill probebly not even 2 hours after. I was surprised I did not get any symptoms a week later after takeing the pill. However in the weeks after this incident I went through so much stress at once. Finals week as a senior in college, A best friend's wedding that I was a brides maid in and helping with hair and decorations, my boyfriend was currently moveing to a new apartment on a very tight budget and time frame(the day before my friend's wedding in which he was supposed to be there), His truck that night after moving in got towed out of the apartment complex as labled abandoned for no reason so now we have to deal with police reports, and ill just put etc. to explain the rest. Needless to say I was supposed to start my period according to my app on May 18 but I know I have about 2 flex days. However its been exactly a week according to my app. And I still have not gotten my period. I expirianced tender breasts like I normally do the week before my period, this time they were tender from the middle of last week to yesterday with them being almost completely fine today. Monday I had a sore throat and flu-like symptoms that have finally really started to clear up today. I started cramping Wednesday, and sorry TMI got my usual bout of diahrea that starts before my period. I havent bled or spotted once at all yet after these symptoms and its really not helping me lower my stress levels. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar yet. I plan on takeing a home pregnancy test Saturday morning if I'm still not bleeding by then. I was also wondering how high stress effect s this medication.

Anonymous

I took a morning after pill 4 days after my expected ovulation. Although i knew the chances are small for pregnancy, i took it just to make sure. Had sex 1-2 days after my ovulation, condom broke. Took the pill 2 days later after having sex. I'm on natural family planning, so i don't take birth control pill, just using condom in my fertile window. I'm on this plan for over 2 years. Since that time my period is always on time, NEVER was late or early in the past 2 years. The MAP made it come 3 days late. Took pregnancy tests from day one after my period was late, all came out negative. Period arrived. Thank God! Good luck to all of you.

Anonymous

I had sex on the 13th of may 2018, then took the pill on the 14th, 10 or 9 am. we had sex around 3 am on a sunday morning. im paranoid, i havent had my period its now the 19th of may, should i be worried? what should i do? iam underage. im only 15, the only time i can go for checkups is school time. ive taken the ecp before. i only took one pill. the 2nd time i had sex the nurse said i have to take 2 because my weight, now im paranoid because i havent had my period. im stressing and im getting depressed. i have regrets, help.

Hello Anon

Anonymous

Hi, we had a condom malfunction last April 30, took an ECP a day after. My period was supposed to come on the 6th of May, but until now, I still haven’t got it. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Hello, last April 30, we had a condom malfunction, and I took the morning after pill a day later. My period was supposed to come on May 6. Until now, I still haven’t got my period. Is there any chance that I could be pregnant?